SOIC to DIP adaptors are useful for many things:
- For prototyping a circuit on a through-hole proto-board and later converting to SMT
- For saving money with cheaper SMT chips
- Some chips might only be available in SOIC packages
- Programming SOIC microcontrollers without expensive ZIF sockets
Step 1: Materials and Tools
- Copper clad board
- Breakaway male strip headers (like these)
- Ferric Chloride etchant (or equivalent)
- Additional supplies for your etching method of choice
- 1mm drill bit (3/64" is what I use and it works well enough)
- Tin snips or other PCB cutting tool
Step 2: Etch the Boards
I have supplied a .docx file with the correctly scaled layout inside, which can be printed on whatever medium you are going to use. The file is available below.
If you're doing the magazine paper method, after printing, ironing, dissolving, and etching, drill the holes for the header pins and cut the boards apart with the tin snips. Trim them as necessary to make them smaller.