Introduction: DIY SWAPPABLE STUNT PLANE 2.0
Hello friends, i am going to share you my way of making a very easy fully scratch build RC plane which is very maneuverable and easy to control this is a swappable RC plane so that means you can change its Wings and make a new RC plane without making another fuselage and fixing new electronics. In this instuctable we will be making a Rc plane whose wings are circular in shape from a sheet of corrugated plastic
- Material required
- Getting to know our electronics tips and precautions
- Building the fuselage
- Building the wing
- Assembling the electronics
- Making the control surfaces
- Connecting the electronics
- Testing and trouble shooting
Step 1: PROOF OF OUR FLIGHT
I have attached my test flights and crashes which i performed with my plane. In some of the videos You'll notice the stunts that i have tried with my baby plane.
Step 2: Material Required
since this a scratch build plane the main requirement would be the electronics and some stationary and some basic equipments
if you like my project please spare some of your time to vote for me thanks.It would be very helpful.
- 30 A Electronic Speed Controller (ESC)
- 2200 KV Brushless Motor
- 2200 mAh LIPO batttery 25c discharge 11.1v
- Atleast 4 channel Transmitor Reciver.I am using FLY SKY 6 channel TRANSMITIOR RECEIVER SET
- LIPO CHARGER i am using B3 AC PRO
- A multimeter to checking your LIPO' voltage
- 2 x 9 gram Servos
- XT 60 Male connector
- Corrogated plastic sheet
- Duct tape/masking tape
- Hobby knife/box cutter
- 20 inches ruler
- set square/anything that is 90 degree
- A body of the sketch pen (optional)if mounting the wheels
- Double side tape
- Solder iron and solder wire
- Hotglue gun and hot glue stick
- A screw driver set
- Barbecude scwers
- Thread /zip ties
- Helping hand
- Heat shrink
- Wheels with axle from and old toy car(optional)if mounting the wheels
- Thick metal wire for making the wheel mount(optional)
I HAVE PROVIDE THE PLANS WHICH YOU WILL HAVE TO PRINT OUT AND STICK THEM TOGETHER AND CUT THE TEMPLATE TO GET THE PARTS OF THE BODY OF THE RC PLANE BEFORE MOVING TO THE NEXT STEP.THESE TEMPLATES ARE PROVIDED BY FLIGHT TEST .
Step 3: Getting to Know Our Electronics Tips and Precautions
What is a brushless motor?
Brushless DC electric motor (BLDC motors, BL motors) also known as electronically commutated motors (ECMs, EC motors) are synchronous motors powered by switching power supply which produces an AC electric current to drive each phase of the motor via a closed loop controller. The controller provides pulses of current to the motor windings that control the speed and torque of the motor.
What is ESC?
The term ESC stands for an“electronic speed control is an electronic circuit used to change the speed of an electric motor, its route and also to perform as a dynamic brake. These are frequently used on radio controlled models which are electrically powered, with the change most frequently used for brushless motors basically providing an electronically produced 3-phase electric power low voltage source of energy for the motor.
what are servo motors?
A Servo is a small device that incorporates a two wire DC motor, a gear train, a potentiometer, an integrated circuit, and an output shaft. Of the three wires that stick out from the motor casing, one is for power, one is for ground, and one is a control input line. The shaft of the servo can be positioned to specific angular positions by sending a coded signal. As long as the coded signal exists on the input line, the servo will maintain the angular position of the shaft. If the coded signal changes, then the angular position of the shaft changes.
what is transmitter receiver?
Transmitter is a device which we use to control our model by sending signals which are recieved by receivers which make are electronics to act on the signal we have given to it.
TIPS AND PRECAUTIONS
- IMP:ALWAYS CHECK THE BATTERY VOLTAGE BEFORE FLIGHT it should be above 11.1 volts and frequently it should never go under or near 9 volt if it goes charge it immediately.
- Never over charge the battery it should be under supervision while charging.
- Work with brushless carefully as it can cut our hand and other injuries.
- Always check that the prop is properly fastened over the motor.
- Always attach female connectors to the source of power like battery and ESC
- Always check that the weight is balance around 5 inches after the starting of the wing.
- Always cool down the battery after flight so it dosnot get puffed.
- Never turn the servo by hand when it is connected to power.
Step 4: BUILDING THE FUSELAGE
AFTER YOU HAVE CUT THE TEMPLATE YOUR MATERIAL WILL LOOK LIKE WHAT IS SHOWN IN STEP 1 (the template is by josh bixler flight test)
ADD MASKING OR DUCT TAPE TO THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF SIDE AS SHOWN IN STEP 2 THEN REMOVE THE MIDDLE PART OF BOTH SIDES AND TAPE WILL BE VISIBLE. PROCEED TO STEP 3
ADD HOT GLUE IN THE GAP AND IMMEADIATELY PROCEED TO STEP 4
MOVE THE RIGHT SIDE TOWARDS THE BASE THE TAPE WILL HELP IN THE MOVEMENT AND WILL ACT LIKE A HINGE JOINT THEN WAIT TILL THE HOT GLUE DRIES
REPEAT STEP 3 AND STEP 4 TO THE OTHER SIDE
Step 5: Building the Wing
CUT ACCORDING TO THE TEMPLATE AND YOU WILL END LIKE SHOWN IN STEP 1
REMOVE THE PIECES THAT YOU HAVE CUT FROM THE WING AND YOU WILL END JUST LIKE SHOWN IN STEP 2
PUT THE CENTRE OF THE WING AT A ELEVATED SURFACE AN THEN APPLY A LITTLE PRESSURE TO FOLD THE SIDES ALONG THE CUT AS IT I ALREADY SEMI CUT IT WILL BEND EASILY APPLY HOT GLUE IN THE GAP TO MAKE IT MAINTAIN THAT POSITION THE ANGLE OF BEND SHOULD BE AROUND 20 DEGREES. THEN APPLY SOME TAPE ON BOTH SIDES TO MAKE IT STURDY YOUR WINGS WILL END LIKE IN THE FIGURE OF STEP 3
THEN TAKE THE ELEVATOR AND STICK IT TO THE WING IN ITS PLACE WITH A LITTLE GAP BETWEEN ELEVATOR AND WING USING MASKING OR DUCT TAPE SO THAT IT CAN EASILY MOVE. THE TAPE WILL ACT AS THE HINGE DO ATTACH TAPE ON DOTH SIDES MAKE SURE IT IS FIRM AND MOVES UP DOWN EASILY .ALSO DO THIS IN THE RUDDER SO THAT ITS FIN CAN FREELY MOVE RIGHT AND LEFT
APPLY SOME HUT GLUE AT THE BASE OF THE RUDDER AND FIT IT INSIDE THE SLOT MAKE USING SET SQUARE MAKE SURE IT IS 90 DEGREE.
THEN APPLY SOME GLUE EXTERNALLY OVER THE JOINT TO MAKE IT STRONG AND STURDY.
Step 6: MOUNTING THE CONTROLSURFACES
Gather the material as shown in step 1
Make the bent in the wire passing through the holes of the servo so it gets attached to then coil the wire around the barbecue sticks as shown in step 2
Do as shown in the video above
then secure the joints with tape and some more hot glue
Step 7: ASSEMBLY OF THE ELECTRONICS
STEP 1 MOUNTING THE MOTOR ON A HARD PIECE OF PLASTIC
PUT THE MOTOR OVER THE CENTER OF THE HARD PIECE OF PLASTIC HAVING DIMENSIONS OF THE FIREWALL GIVEN IN THE TEMPLATE AND MARK THE POINTS WHERE THE SCREWS WILL GO USING A HOT SCREW DRIVER POKE LITTLE HOLES. MAKE SURE THEY ARE SMALL THEN PUSH THE SCREW INTO IF WITH SOME EFFORT IT WILL GO INTO IT TIGHT IT DO THIS FOR ALL FOUR SIDES AND APPLY GLUE ON THE SCREWS ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE MOUNT TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE FIRM
APPLY GLUE IN THE FRONT OF THE FUSELAGE AND STICK THE MOUNT TO IT THEN APPLY SOME MORE GLUE TO MAKE SURE IT IS FIRM.THEN CONNECT ANY WIRE TO ANY OTHER WIRE OF THE ESC.USING DOUBLE SIDE TAPE STICK THE ESC AS FAR AS POSSSIBLE POKE HOLES FOR THE WIRES OF THE POWER SUPPLY OF ESC.
USING DOUBLE SIDE TAPE STICK THE BATTERY IN THE FRONT CENTER OF THE FUSELAGE TO MAKE SURE THAT THE WEIGHT IS BALANCED.
STICK THE RECEIVER OPPOSITE TO THE ESC TO BALANCE WEIGHT
STICK BOTH SERVOS WITH DOUBLE SIDE TAKE PASS THEIR WIRES TRROUGH THR HOLE FIRST THE POKE THEM IN SIDE THE SLOT IF THEY DONT GET PUSHHE OPPOSITE SIDES TO GLUE IT I PLACE
SOLDER THE XT60 MALE CONNECTOR TO THE ESC
Step 8: Connecting Electronics and Testing
1.CONNECT BATTERY TO THE ESC THROUGH XT60 CONNECTOR
2.CONNECT THE ESC 3 WIRES TO ANY ANY OF THE MOTORS 3 WIRES
3.CONNECT THE ESC SIGNAL WIRE TO CHANNEL 3 IN RECIEVER
4,CONNECT THE ELEVATOR SERVO TO CHANNEL 2
5.CONNECT THE RUDDER SERVO TO CHANNEL 1
Step 9: TROUBLESHOOTING
- WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN WHEN WE-:
- MOVE ELEVATOR STICK UP - THE ELEVATOR SHOULD MOVE DOWNWARDS
- MOVING ELEVATOR DOWN-THE ELEVATOR SHOULD MOVE UPWARDS
- MOVING RUDDER STICK TO THE RIGHT -THE RUDDER SHOULD MOVE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION MOVING RUDDER STICK TO THE LEFT -THE RUDDER SHOULD MOVE IN THE LEFT DIRECTION
- MOVING THE THROTTLE STICK UP -THE SPEED OF THE MOTOR SHOULD INCREASE
- MOVING THE THROTTLE STICK DOWNWARDS-THE SPEED OF THE MOTOR SHOULD INCREASE AND AT THE END GRADUALLY STOP IF IN YOUR CASE IF ANY OF THE ABOVE IS NOT CORRECT OR IS OPPOSITE DIRECTION YOU NEED TO SWITCH THE DIRECTION OF THE CHANNEL OR CHANGE YOU MODE OF CONTROLLING FOR THIS YOU NEED TO REFER TO THE MANUAL OF YOUR TRANSMITTER RECEIVER METHOD FOR CHANGING THE DIRECTION OF CHANNEL IN FS-I6:- STEP 1-GO TO MENU STEP 2-FUNCTIONS SETUP STEP 3-GO TO REVERSE STEP 4-SELECT THE CHANNEL TO REVERSE AND REVERSE IT
METHOD FOR CHANGING THE STICKS MODE STEP 1-GO TO MENU STEP 2-GO TO SYSTEM STEP 3-GO TO STICKS MODE STEP 4-SELECT MODE 2 AND PROGRAMMING DONE CHECK THE CG(CENTER OF GRAVITY) IT SHOULD BE 5 INCHES AFTER THE STARTING OF THE WING IF IT IS NOT CORRECT MOVE YOUR BATTER FRONT AND BACK TILL THE CG IS CORRECT
NOW IT IS READY TO FLY SO PRACTICE ON RC FLIGHT SIMULATORS LIKE REAL FLIGHT 6 WHEN YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH SIMULATOR FLY YOUR PLANE AND ENJOY
Step 10: FLIGHT
Doing taxing and making the plane to go right and left
Our final flight!
if you like my project please spare some of your time to vote for me thanks
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.