When you want to hide something....what are the aspects you should consider?
Take a step back and think like a burglar! :-)
1. Where is the most likely place to hide your valuables? your bedroom??? yes..that is the most likely place...btw..how many of you hide there ?? So avoid all likely places!!!
2. The burglar...will not have much time..so do not hide in places he might discover!.... he will start throwing things this way and that way...throwing your clothes off the shelves...checking your shoe boxes...under the bed....under bed side table....you know....watch the movies....they will give you some ideas....unless of course...you have a live in thief...or close acquaintance...who knows you...visits you and knows how to do a slow and through search when you are not there...perhaps when you ask them to house sit...baby sit...( this is just an assumption...I'm not accusing your friends and family or telling you to suspect them....just trying to cover all aspects!)
3. Your valuables should not be in a place where he/she can stuff under the shirt....to later take home and break open...in case it has a lock.
4. It should definitely have a lock! If your burglar finds your secret place...why make it easy for them to access it!
It's better to have a lock that is invisible outside... if anyone sees a lock...it's the obvious conclusion that all valuables....will be behind lock keys for added security .
5. Your Valuables should not be in place where your parents or spouse or even say your day help might accidentally throw away or give away. Imagine your mom giving away some old stuff of yours....or lets someone borrow a book(which happens to be your secret stash book! oh horrors!
6. Finally...it's better to always have a dual purpose for your secret hiding place. It's something you actually use daily...it's in plain sight...it's a normal everyday household item...which nobody will ever suspect...and it's something you can make...without getting outsiders to make ....thereby loosing the secrecy.
Well....have I covered all aspects?? if I haven't please let me know :-)
keeping these ideas in mind..and the fact that some live in rental apartments so you cant break in the wall for in built hidden holes ....I came up with this secret dual purpose furniture.
Hope it helps you all!
Step 1: Wood and the Lock!
I know...most parents in US would have heard of these locks ...it's the magnetic locks...It's invisible from the outside...thereby not spoiling the look of the furniture.
There are most likely other locks as well...perhaps some that is electronic..and have coads and stuff....but....I'm not that advanced in my electronics!
well...see what works for you...In my case I went for the kids magnetic locks.
for wood i used most of my scrap wood ...I only bought 2x2's for legs
Sponge too I used scrap....but if you are buying 2" thickness would do nicely.