Working in the OR, I always see doctors and nurses walking around wearing cute scrub hats. So not wanting to wear those stupid looking blue disposable ones, I looked into purchasing a few. After seeing the outrageous prices some companies were charging, I set out to make my own. Challenge accepted. I couldn't find a decent *free* pattern online so I ended up just creating my own.
- 1/3 yd of Main Fabric of your choosing. (If 44 inches wide, should be enough for both pieces)
- Accent Fabric (or scrap fabric) that is at least 8 1/2 by 11 inches
- 1/2 inch wide Elastic Band
- Ruler and/or Measuring Tape
- Sewing Machine and Thread (matching your fabric)
- Iron/Ironing Board
Step 1: Step 1: Cutting the Fabric
You will need to cut out two pieces of fabric. One of for the main body of the hat and one for the top. (Use the iron to help flatten out the kinks and folds in the fabric before cutting.)
For the main body of the hat, cut a rectangular piece of fabric with the dimensions 12 x 30 inches.
For the top of the hat, I created a pattern using one 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. Just make sure that one end of the fabric is flat. A sample of what it should look like is included.