loading
Picture of DIY Tent Heater / Lantern
So, I had chilly fingers sitting in my tent watching the wasted heat shimmer away out the vent in the top of my Coleman tent.
And wishing and chilly imagined my Clay Chimnea (aka Mexican Chimney) radiating heat and how much better it worked than the olde fire-pit.

So...

Step 1: Look at the wasted heat

Picture of Look at the wasted heat
So, basic science...

Three flavors of heat Conduction, Convection and Radiant.
Conduction (touch) is The most efficient.
Convection is the heating of the air (no good here since it leaves too quickly.
Radiation... sticks around longer than convective current going thru the vent...

 
DYIgal2 years ago
I am thinking this may work in a small green house for some added warmth
This is a really good idea.
Actually, its not... A woman and two children died on a campsite a few years ago here in the UK, from carbon monoxide poisoning, they were using Propane gas for cooking/heating
Actually, it is... The recent camping deaths in UK were caused by people taking a CHARCOAL barbeque into the tent. Charcoal produces carbon monoxide when it burns, propane & butane generally do not.
Propane and butane do produce carbon monoxide. Ask any chemist, or look on the warnings for any gas stove or lantern. CO production is a problem especially at the low "simmer" setting on stoves. Cooking produces especially high levels because the cold metal of the pan cools the flame and prevents complete combustion of the gas. At high altitude this is even more of a problem because of the lack of oxygen in the air.
Here is a link to a detailed study of the problem: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1080603204704743
and another: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735675704000476
And a report by the consumer product safety commission which states that 23% of Carbon Monoxide deaths occur in tents. http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/106232/co05.pdf
I stand corrected... I still think its a dangerous idea though.
ralf.wolf2 years ago
A propane lantern should never be inside of a tent. The first issue is fire ... although most tents are fire retardant none are fire proof. The second and probably most dagerous is the carbon monoxide threat I knew and knew of more than one thinking person that "thought" knew what they were doing .... please never try this
Xixfas2 years ago
I am learning heat transfer in science
This is a really dangerous idea. Propane lanterns produce carbon monoxide, and people have died from using them inside poorly ventilated tents.
No..It is a great idea..People just need to learn to think like they did in the old days..Completely safe for a thinking person....
doo da do2 years ago
Seen one similar for a hand warmer three stacked and candles, not good in tent.
This really reminds me of the radiator assembly on candle heaters http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blog/how-to-make-a-candle-heater.htm . least with the three pot assembly, you can actually put your hands on it.