Recently I saw a post on Chocolate & Zucchini on making your own vanilla extract. Since this sells for nearly as much as HP printer ink at the super market I thought it would be worth looking into.
As it turns out it’s incredibly easy to make and totally worth doing. I followed this “recipe” from Chocolate & Zucchini.
Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 3 medium vanilla beans, or 1 1/2 fat ones
- 1 cup rum or vodka
Homemade Vanilla Extract via Chocolate & Zucchini
Step 1: Sanitize, slice, pour.
Figuring 3 beans per cup of alcohol I calculated out the amount of alcohol and number of beans needed (a lot).
The steps for preparing this are pretty simple.
1. Remove vodka or rum from original bottle
2. Split vanilla beans in half
3. Sanitize bottle
4. Put beans in the bottom of the now empty and sanitized bottle
5. Pour vodka back into bottle
6. Cap it, date it and throw it in the back of your cabinet.
Sanitizing the bottle may have been overkill but I’d rather be safe than sorry. Give the bottle a shake everyday for the first week and then once or twice a week for the rest of the infusion period.
Your vodka/rum should be “extract” in 2 months but will continue to improve in flavor for at least another 4-6 months.