Inspired by OVERWATCH, we have made a very cool Wooden Laser Gun toy for fun these day!
The Wooden Laser Gun and the Gun Target are all based on an Arduino board called Seeeduino Lotus. The laser emitter on the Laser Gun is controlled to fire laser pulse to "activate" the Gun Target. And there are 3 light sensors on the Gun Target to detect the laser pulse. It seems very simple right? If you are interested in our project, please make one for yourself or your child! It's worth to spend one day DIY it as a Xmas present.
Step 1: What We Need
- Seeeduino Lotus —— 2 pcs
5mW Laser Module emitter - Red Point —— 1 pcs
Grove LED Bar v2.0 —— 1pcs
Grove - Vibration Motor —— 1 pcs
Grove - Button(P) —— 2 pcs
Servo —— 3 pcs
Grove - Light Sensor v1.2(P) —— 3 pcs
Grove - 4-Digit Display —— 1 pcs
Grove - Buzzer ——1 pcs
- Rubber band —— 2 pcs
- Support column M3*25 —— 14 pcs
- Support column M3*30 —— 3 pcs
- Support column M3*50 —— 6 pcs
- Support column M3*20 —— 4 pcs
- M3 screws and nuts —— many
- M2 screws and nuts —— many
- 3mm thick wood planks
- 5mm thick wood planks
Step 2: Hardware Connection and Coding of Laser Gun
- Connecting the hardware as the picture above.
- Here we have two buttons, the button connected to D6 is as a trigger of the Laser Gun, each press of the button will fire laser pulse. And the D7 button is as a loader, each press of it will reload the Laser Gun.
- The led bar is for displaying the bullets left in the clip. We have 100 bullets in total and the clip can be filled with 10 bullets at a time.
- You may ask that what if I run out of my bullet, press D6 and D7 button at the same time, then the Laser Gun will be reset and you will have 100 bullets again.
- What's more, if you want to have a rest, press D7 button for about 3 seconds or no press the trigger for about 30s, then Laser Gun will be in sleep mode. Press the trigger again to wake up your gun.
- That is all about the Laser Gun. Download lasergun.zip and upload gun.ino to Seeeduino Lotus. You will find that you can hardly tear yourself away from it.
Step 3: Hardware Connection and Coding of Gun Target
- We have designed 3 up-down targets for the Laser Gun. Each up-down target is made up of one light sensor and one servo. The light sensor is used to detect the laser pulse and the servo is used to turn the light sensor up and down.
- When a laser pulse is detected, which means that you hit the target, the Grove - 4-Digit-Display will show your score and another target will turn up at the same time.
- If you don't hit the target which is turned up in about 10 seconds, the target will also be turned down.
Download target.zip and upload target.ino to Seeeduino Lotus.
Step 4: Laser Cut the Wooden
Here we need to use laser cutter to produce the parts of laser gun and gun target.
The parts in image 1, 3 need to use 3mm wood to produce, the parts in image 2 need to use 5mm wood to produce.
The files of laser cut I already put on the following.
Step 5: Install the Structure Part of the Laser Gun
Now we can start to install the hardware and structure parts of laser gun.
- Install the laser head
- Install the hardware, include power bank, seeeduino, button......
- Install trigger and loaded plate.
Here I use rubber band to deal with rebound, maybe it is difficult to install, you can try to use a line fixed the trigger then install them.
Step 6: Assemble the Laser Gun
Here we start to install the trim section, we can stick them with glue.
Now Laer gun production is complete!
Step 7: Assembled Photosensitive Target
Now we begin to make the gun target, the order of installation is important, please note it.
- Install the disc for the fixed servo
- Install the servo
- Install the light sensor
- Combine the servo with the disc we just installed
- Combine the light sensor
- install the base
Step 8: Install the Other Structure Parts of the Target
Install the hardware parts, here we can use nylon belt fix the cable.
Then install the side panels.
Step 9: To Complete the Target Assembly
Install the top plate, complete!