A compact, easy to assemble, LED Controller outputs TTL PWM signals for Red, Green and Blue LEDs. The PWM signals control LED Drivers (Output Boards, MOSFET/Resistor based regulation or constant current regulators), which are selected based on the configuration(current, voltage, type) of LEDs being controlled. A 3 digit, 7-segment LED display and 2 buttons are on a separate PCB connected with a ribbon cable, so it can be mounted anywhere. The display shows the user the current address or what the current stand alone mode is set to. The 2 buttons are used to set the DMX address( Up/Down) and to control the stand-alone functions for when DMX input is not used. The user can select weather the device utilizes 3 or 5 channels of DMX data. The device can be set to go into various stand alone modes if it looses DMX signal or no DMX is being used. All user changed preferences are saved to the device and load at start up.
Controller PCB is 2" x 2" x 0.5" tall. It is connected to the display PCB with 13-strand ribbon cable. The display PCB is 1.75" x 1.75" x 3/8" and has mounting holes in each corner for standoffs or screws. Diagrams are on the datasheet.
3 Channel Mode:
- 1 - Red - Red Value, 0 - 255
- 2 - Green - Red Value, 0 - 255
- 3 - Blue - Red Value, 0 - 255
- 4 - Shutter - (Master Brightness) Scales the Red, Green and Blue values proportionality to the shutter value, 255 will produce the actual values that Red, Green or Blue are set to. 128 will divide the RGB values by half.
- 5 - Strobe - Strobes the colors using the Shutter and RGB values. 0 is off, 5 or more starts at 1hz upto 10hz strobing.
When the device does not have a DMX signal or looses signal, it will fall into user selected stand-alone mode, The mode is selected by the user and saved to the device.
- Fade - Cycles through all the colors, with speed control
- Flash - Flashes through preset colors, with Speed Control
- Hold - Holds the outputs at their previouscolor values, in case of DMX connectivity loss. Waits.
- No Data - all outputs turn off
- Select - Displays a selected color, stays that color. 0 - 255 Selects color R->G->B
Download the Datasheet Here or Visit the DMX-512 LED Controller w/ LED Display Webpage.
Please contact me if custom or modified DMX Channels or Stand-alone functions are required. Or for bulk purchases or firmware licensing.
I have a work-in-progress tutorial on DMX LED Wash Light Design just the basics right now, but it will be expanded.
Kits can be purchased from Chromation Systems Webstore. Remember XLRs, Headers and Housings are not required, and are purchased as an add-on, look for the check boxes above the Add This To My Cart Button.
- Printed Circuit Board for the Controller
- Printed Circuit Board for the LED Display and Buttons
- PIC16F1828 - Programmed Microcontroller
- 74HC164 - 8 Channel Serial in Parallel out Shift Register
- SN17576 - RS-485 Transceiver
- LTC-4724R - 3 Segment Common Cathode LED Display
- 20-Pin Socket
- 14-Pin Socket
- 8-Pin Socket
- 2 Board Mount Momentary Push Buttons
- 3x 3904 TO-92 Package
- 120 ohm Resistor, black - red - brown
- 10 ohm Resistor, black - brown - black
- 3x 10k ohm resistor, brown - black - orange
- 3x 220ohm resistor, base resistors
- 8x 220ohm or higher, current limiting resistors for the LED Display
- 13 Strand Ribbon Cable, varying length kit comes with 8"
- 1uf Capacitor
- 10uF Capacitor
- 2x 0.1uF Capacitor
- Male and Female Panel Mount XLR Connectors, 3 pin, screws
- 2-pin Header and Housing, for power connection
- 3-pin Header and Housing, XLR / DMX Connection
- 4-pin Header and Housing, TTL PWM + GND Output connection
- 10 crimps, for the housings.
- 12" 3 strand wire, for XLR connection
- 10" dual strand red and black wire for Power
Output Board / Breakout Board: There are many options here, shown is for a Common Anode, MOSFET controlled
Common Anode, no Regulation
- Printed Circuit Board or Perforated Board
- 3x Logic Level MOSFETs such as FDP8880 or RFP12N10L
- 3x Gate Resistors, kit uses 220ohm
- 3x 10 kohm Resistor Pull Down
- 4 position Terminal Block, 5.04mm spacing
- 4 strand wire
- 2 strand power wire
- Soldering Iron
- Wire Cutter
- Wire Stripper
- Xacto style razor blade
- Hot Glue, not necessary but helps a lot to secure the ribbon cable