Make a pair of dancing robots using magnets!
While messing around with some magnets I purchased from Ebay I discovered something really cool. If you put a small washer on a flat surface and move a magnet in a circle motion underneath the washer, it will spin one way and then another.
As soon as I saw this I just had to incorporate it into a project. In the end I came up with robot dancers - the ideas a little left of centre but the end result looks great. The robots really look like they are dancing and the cool thing is you can’t see any mechanisms moving them.
I chose a book to have the robots dancing on as I wanted it to seem that the robots were casually being displayed on top of the book. You could use a wooden box (or cardboard box) to hide the motor etc, but a book does the job pretty well.
Here's a video of the robots in action
And here’s how you do it…
Step 1: Things to Gather
- A hard back book.
- 3v geared motor 15rpm. Can be purchased on Ebay
- White LED. - Switch. Can be purchased on Ebay
- 2 x LED holders. Can be purchased on Ebay
- Old fuse.
- Copper tube - Copper wire (thin)
- 2 x rare earth magnets. Can be purchased on Ebay
- Battery holder. Can be purchased on Ebay
- Toggle switch. Can be purchased on Ebay
- Old electrical parts, resistors, transistors, pots whatever you can get your hands on. These bits are used to build your robot.
- 2 x washers. Make sure that they are as thin and shiny as possible.
- hot glue
- solder and soldering iron
- Stanley knife