- Aebleskive Pan
- Mixing Bowls
- Turning Sticks
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1 cup olive oil for frying
How to Make Æbleskivers
Servings : 30 Æbleskivers
A little about Æbleskiver
Æbleskiver, sometimes called Appleskivers or Pancake Puffs are a traditional Danish breakfast pancake, cooked into the shape of a sphere in a specialized pan. You can open them up and fill them with anything from Syrup to Berries to Chocolate.
Cooking Æbleskivers for breakfast on a holiday or birthday is a long tradition in my family. A long time ago, my Grandmother was hosting danish exchange students who originally taught her the Recipe and gave her a pan. That recipe was passed down to my parents, to me and now to you.
Step 1: Mixing the Batter
Mixing the Batter
1. Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks in two clean glass or metal bowls.
2. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they can hold a stiff peak.
3. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, sugar, vanilla, egg yolks and buttermilk. Beat until smooth.
4. Gently fold in the egg whites last. This should leave the batter with a fluff from the egg whites.
Step 2: Cooking
1. Poor out a cup of Olive or Vegetable oil.
2. Heat up the Æbleskivers pan to medium Heat.
3. Use a cooking brush, cooking syringe, or just poor a small amount of Oil into each half sphere.
4. Poor in the batter 1/4 inch below the surface of the pan. You can see one of my pictures where I overfill the pan, making a mess.
5. Let the half spheres cook, and then use a skewer to rotate the sphere 90 degrees. The uncooked batter will flow back into the pan creating 3/4ths of a sphere. Let the new batter cook.
6. Rotate again to begin to form a sphere.
7. continue to rotate the spheres until you are happy with their shape.
8. Once done, you can either skewer the Æbleskivers or dump them into a bowl.
Step 3: Enjoy : Toppings!
Now for the best part! Toppings and Fillings!
There are endless options for toppings and fillings.
My favorite is just butter, berries and Syrup. Trent took it to the next level, serving the Æbleskivers in a cone with Ice cream. Æbleskivers are my favorite addition to the deliciousness of breakfast, I hope you get a chance to enjoy them!
Challenge : Try adding Chocolate to the batter, or cooking the fillings into the sphere.