Introduction: Dark Chocolate Brownie Recipe
Brownies require less effort than a lot of baked goods. The best tasting brownies definitely consist of quality cocoa powder and rich dark chocolate! A hint of coffee and a dollop of sour cream adds moist, delicious decadence to these brownies.
This is a great starting point if you have never baked before as this recipe is seriously easy...and delicious. Prepare to bite into the best thick and chewy brownies ever! You'll impress everyone that loves brownies...I promise! ;)
This is a recipe from my Science of Baking Class. If you are interested in learning more about baking please take a look and enroll today. You'll learn more than you ever thought possible about baking and the science behind it!
Step 1: Recipe & Instructions
Dark Chocolate Fudgy Brownies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (not dutch process)
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, plus extra for greasing pan
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips, divided
To make this brownie recipe you will need the following tools:
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer
- 8-Inch Square Pan
- Rubber Spatula
- Sifter or Fine Mesh Strainer
- Large Bowl
- Parchment Paper
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cooling Rack or Hot Pad
- Cutting Board
This is a very easy recipe to follow, but please remember to read through the entire recipe and all the directions before you get started! ;)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8-inch square pan (9-inch square will work too. The brownies just won't be quite as thick.) and line it with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper being careful not to tear it.
2. Using a sifter or a fine mesh strainer, sift together flour, cocoa, coffee, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl, making sure no lumps remain, and set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment (use a hand mixer if you don't have a stand mixer) cream butter and sugar on medium speed.
4. Add eggs, sour cream, and vanilla extract (while the mixer is running) and beat until the eggs are well incorporated. Stop the mixer a few times and scrap down the sides with a rubber spatula. This ensures all ingredients get mixed thoroughly.
5. Turn the mixer off and add dry ingredients. Mix again on low speed until the ingredients are well incorporated. About 30 seconds or so.
6. Add in one cup of chocolate chips. Mix just to incorporate.
7. Evenly spread the brownie batter into prepared pan and sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly sticky. Testing can be tricky with any recipe that has chocolate chips baked inside. Make sure to pay attention to the toothpick to see if what's on it is melted chocolate or raw batter. Remove pan from oven and let cool on a wire rack (or hot pad).
9. Once brownies are completely cool, grab the edges of the parchment paper and lift the brownies out of the pan. Keep a firm grip on the parchment and pull the edges away from each other so the brownies don't break in the center. Transfer to a large cutting board. (You may need to run a knife around the edges where there is not parchment to free the brownies.)
10. Using a large sharp knife, cut brownies to desired size. Eat and enjoy!
If you have chosen to make these brownies, snap a photo and upload it in the 'I Made It' section below. Don't forget to include how much you liked them! :P