Nessessities for this project.
4 Pieces of 550 x 350 x 15 MDF
Steel rod (440x (diameter 19)
15 bore ball bearings (high quality bearings used in bike hubs)
4M threaded aluminuim rod
6mm thick clear acrylic (required for gear)
3500RPM motor generator
Step 1: Blades
2) Using this file, we then created a model in solid works. This was a 2D representation of the NACA 015.
3) We then placed the file in Adobe illustrator and laser cut the shape out of 6mm thick clear acrylic. This was then used as a guide/template.
4) Each blade consists of 2 pieces of 18mm thick ( 80mm long and 320mm deep). PVA was used as an adhesive to stick each piece of MDF together.
5) The acrylic template was then used to draw the outline of the aerofoil section on each end of the MDF.
6) The belt sander was then used to sculpt each blade. The acrylic template was constantly used to check that the blade was being sanded correctly.
7) Finally, each blade was varnished and sanded 6 times to gain a very smooth finish.