This Valentines day (or any day for that matter) make your sweet heart a traditional French dessert: Coeur a la Creme with Strawberry Sauce. Homemade dates are the best kind, don't blow it by making an ordinary dessert (or none at all). Coeur a la Creme is sure to please!
*Warning: This dessert is dangerously delicious! I am not responsible for the results of making and eating this date night miracle. Please proceed with caution.
Step 1: Ingredients and Cookery
To make this dessert you'll need some special equipment and a few ingredients:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups heavy cream, cold
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped of its seeds or 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pound frozen whole strawberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons sugar
Step 2: Making the Magic
1. Prepare the Coeur a la Creme mold by lining it with cheesecloth (if you don't have cheesecloth you can use Paper Towels). Use a pastry brush and water to lightly brush the bit of cloth that touches the bottom of the mold. This will allow you to nestle the paper into the shape of the heart more easily.
2. Use a mixer to beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the cream, and beat until the mixture looks like whipped cream. Add in the sugar, vanilla seeds, and lemon zest, and whip until the mixture resembles whipped cream.
3. Decant the cream cheese mixture into the heart-shaped mold. Fold the excess cheesecloth over the top, and set the mold inside a shallow bowl to catch the liquid that will drain out. Chill in the fridge overnight.
4. To make the sauce, put the strawberries, water, lemon juice, and sugar in a sauce pan on high heat. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sugar is dissolved and the strawberries are soft. Once done, chill the sauce in the fridge.
5. Invert the creamy heart in a large, shallow bowl/plate. Pour some strawberry sauce all around the outside, so the heart is floating in a pool of strawberry goodness!