I had a dead mouse hanging around so I put it to practical use. Some thin sheets of plastic, cut in a few groves and added eye stalks and viola', a DRD (Diagnostic Repair Drone) from the sci fi TV show Farscape .
All you need is:
- a mouse (any one will do, different shapes could be from different ships)
- some thin wire
- some heavy wire
- sheet styrene (the plastic "garage sale" signs at any store should work)
- super glue (I prefer gel type)
- primer paint (spray)
- yellow paint, flat (spray or bottle)
- black paint, flat (bottle)
- gloss paint (spray or bottle)
- 2 dead LED's (unless you want to make them lit)
- 2 Christmas bulb holders
- modeling putty
- silver tape (or any tape painted silver)
- x-acto knife
- razor saw
- sandpaper (100 grit or so)
- drill the size of your heavy wire
- paper punch (or leather punch)
- a little imagination and time
Step 1: Prep & Build
I cut some groves to simulate recessed doors with the razor saw and fixed the over cuts with a bit of putty.
Next comes sanding, this it to get the surface ready for the panels that will be glued on. It doesn't have to be perfect just no huge gouges should be showing.
I cut some random styrene (plastic) shapes and started super-gluing them down. I have 2 size paper punches but a leather punch would give you many more choices. I used a few pictures for inspiration and cut a few of the rectangles diagonally. I layered a few of the sheets to give more depth to the design.