Introduction: Dead Space Welding Helmet
A few yerars back, when I taught myself to weld, I bought a fairly cheap automatic welding mask. It did it's job and still does, but it looked so boring, I had to do something about it.
Even longer ago I started researching for an 'Isaac Clarke' Cosplay from the game 'Dead Space' since I liked that industrial design. I decided to try to mimic that look for my helmet. I call that 'Every Day Cosplay' ;)
Step 1: Taking Apart & Adding Stuff
First, I took out the visor, the electronics and the head strap. Then I drew the patterns on the helmet with a pencil (sorry, no pictures of that).
Using thin (1-2mm) EVA foam, I cut out all the shapes with a cutter knife and/or scissors. The parts that wrapped around corners where a little tricky, but it worked out fine. I tried to work symmetricaly as much as possible.
Everything was glued down using superglue. Be careful, while it might be quite handy, that it sticks fast, it's also not very forgiving since it sticks fast (to fingers also).
Looking at the reference, I thought it was important to work in layers to give it some depth, so I addes bits and pieces to some of the panels. The rivets where pressed in with the cap of the superglue bottle. For one because it was there and it has a pin in the middle to open the glue, which adds extra detail.
I added 2 wooden coffee stirrers to the visor as 'guards'. Double check that you neither obscure your vision nor sensors in the process. Vision & function = more important than looks. ;)
Step 2: Painting, New and Shiny.
After I was satisfied with the panels and greeblies, I spraypainted the whole thing white with acrylic paint. Acrylic paint doesn't eat away the EVA and dries quite fast. In hindsight it might have been better to use black paint, but I dind't have any at the time, and it was Sunday... ah well. Black would have been easier to hide if the next paint layer missed any spots.
Once the white base was dry It applied a base of copper acrylic paint with a brush.
I knew this thing would be heavily weathered, but I decided to paint It 'factory new' at first. As Adam Savage always says 'Weathering tells a story' and every story begins with a new thing.
I painted some panels with a lighter, some with a darker silver, some with a lighter copper to give it a look of being made out of different materials.
Checking the reference I found that some parts of the helmet seem to be brass, some zinc-ish and some fabric or fabric-coated. For the latter part, I put some black gaffer's tape down the middle section.
Don't forget to paint the knobs of the strap as well – I almost did.
Ready for step 3!
Step 3: Through Hell and Back
In space, no one can hear you scream, but you can still get mighy dirty.
This equipment must have been used in some asteroid mine or planet core for years. Quickly wiped down at the end of a shift and back in the mines. So layers of dirt, dust and oil must be coating this helmet.
Using loads of thinned down black, umber and a little green acrylic paints, I waetherd the helmet. Just apply liberal amouts of paint to a brush and channel your inner Jackson Pollock.
I brushed on the paint, flicked it of the brush, smeared it with my fingers, let it dry in the sun, hosed it down, repeat...
But then, one day, someone dug up the marker and nasty necromorphs start killing your fellow miners. As you cut them down limb by limb, some minor drops of blood may come into contact with your gear...
I mixed up some 'old blood' red (normal red is too bright) and painted the palm of my hand with it. Then I smeared it on my helmet. Spray on a light mist of water so it becomes a little runny and let it all dry.
Step 4: In the Eye of the Beholder
Finally, some 'beauty shots'.
The helmet still works, and I have used it quite often since then.
Have fun, and don't let the necromorphs bite.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.