I've just completed an Instructable for version 2.
Here's what you need to make your own:
• Pipe cutter (optional)
• Metal working lathe with cross slide
• Drill or drill press (optional)
• 1/4 inch drill bit
• Mill and 1/4 inch milling bit (optional)
• Countersink (optional)
• Needle nosed pliers
• 1/8 inch diameter nail
• Applicator (and mixing dish if using 2 part epoxy)
• 3/4 inch external diameter, 5/8 internal diameter, aluminum pipe, 3 1/2 inches long
• 3/4 inch internal diameter aluminum pipe, 1 1/8 inches long (The external diameter does not really matter. The piece I used was about 7/8.)
• Two sections of 3/4 inch diameter aluminum rod. One section 1 5/8 inches long, the other 1 1/8 inches long
• 8 inches of 1/16 of an inch diameter SS wire
• Epoxy intended for use with metal
• Strong string
Step 1: The sidewall and point (the body)
On the lathe turn a 1/2 inch long section from the end of the 1 5/8 inches long section of 3/4 inch aluminum rod down to a 5/8 diameter.
On the lathe turn a point on the opposite end from the one you just turned down.
This piece will be the point.
These two parts make up the body.