Introduction: Decadent Dark Chocolate Truffles
Truffles are deceitfully simple, can be made in tons of different ways, and taste amazing! In this recipe the base of the truffles will be dark chocolate ganache. Let's get started...they are a breeze to make!
DARK CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES RECIPE
1. Place 12 ounces of dark chocolate chips in a large ceramic, stainless steel, or glass mixing bowl.
2. In a small sauce pan over medium heat, bring 6 ounces of heavy cream just to a boil. This is a 2-to-1 ratio of chocolate to cream. If you would rather make white chocolate or milk chocolate ganache use the same directions as this but use a 3-to-1 ratio instead.
3. Pour the cream over the chocolate chips. Gently shake the bowl back and forth to cover all the chocolate with cream. Let sit for 5 minutes.
4. After about five minutes stir the ganache with a rubber spatula to incorporate all the cream into the chocolate.
5. Using a hand mixer on low speed, mix the ganache. Stop randomly while mixing to check if there are any lumps. If there are, this is unacceptable and you will need to place the ganache in the microwave for a few seconds and then continue to mix until no lumps remain. Ganache should be runny at this point with a consistency slightly thicker than heavy cream.
At this point you could add mix-ins if desired. Chunks of mint, freeze dried berries, hard toffee chunks, etc. would be tasty.
6. Once all the lumps are gone (and mix-ins are incorporated), place the bowl of ganache in the refrigerator.
7. Once the ganache has set up and feels hard to the touch (this may take an hour or two depending on the size of your batch), remove it from the fridge, and start rolling the truffles.
8. Using a melon baller, small cookie scoop, your hands, or a spoon, make a ball of ganache. (Your hands will melt the ganache so avoid this technique unless it's your only option.)
9. Drop the truffle into a small bowl of cocoa powder and roll to coat all sides. Just like the mix-ins you could also use other ingredients to coat the truffles. I prefer them plain so that's how I show the recipe.
10. Repeat for as many truffles as you can make with the batch!
That's it — delicious truffles are done! Told you it was easy! Eat and enjoy!