Let me show you how to create a delicate bowl and a pair of placemats (or a tablerunner) from garland, so that the beauty of the season can be used for future celeberations.
Step 1: Gather Materials
- Autumn garland is found at hobby stores and is often made from a polyester blend fabric. When choosing your garland, find one that has different types of leaf texture. One of the leaf textures should be soft, similar to a dryer sheet, and the other should be stiff, similar to umbrella fabric.
- Also, select a garland that has various leaf sizes, so that they appear as random fallen leaves. If not available, trim the polyester leaf into the desired leaf shape.
- Softer leaves (dryer sheet texture) will be used for the decorative bowl.
- Firmer leaves (umbrella texture) will be used for the placemats/table runner.
- White Glue, diluted slightly with water
- Sponge Applicator/Paint Brush
- Jar with Lid
- Plastic Wrap
- Bowl (to soak leaves)
- Bowl (to act as the base/form)
For the Placemats/Table Runner
- Yellow or Orange Thread
- Needle or Sewing Machine