Introduction: Deep Dish Pizza Pie
I have seen, made, and eaten this type of pizza made before and absolutely love it. Only problem with that is is whenever you order it in a restaurant takes long time to make it and can be very expensive. I have come up with my own type of recipe for the deep dish pizza pie by making everything from scratch. I will warn in advance this is a very hefty pizza, can feed a lot of people and can become very addicting but is very tasty.
Step 1: The Ingredients and Equipment
- 3 tsp of sugar
- 2 packs of yeast or 1 1/2 tbsp
- 1 1/4c warm water
- 3 1/4 cup of bread flour
- 3 tsp of salt
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- Two 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 2 tbsp of Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup of fresh grated parmasan cheese
- 2 cloves of roasted garlic crushed
Step 2: Making the Pizza Dough
- Dissolve the sugar in the warm water then add the yeast, let it sit for 5 minutes.
- While the yeast is becoming a slurry mix together your dry ingredients and form a well in the middle.
- Now pour in the yeast slurry and mix thoroughly, after it is mixed kneed for 5 minutes.
- Now just form it into a ball set it back into the mixing bowl for proof between 90 and 120 minutes. Make sure to set it in a warm area.
Step 3: Making Roasted Garlic
- Pre-heat the over to 400ºF
- With a sharp knife slice through about the first 1/2 inch of the garlic bulb.
- Next peel away most of the outer layers of the bulb and trim the outside cloves down about 1/2 an inch as well.
- Now place the clove in either a foil cupcake liner, a foil bowl, or even a cupcake pan.
- Pour about 2 tbsp of olive oil over the bulb and cover it in foil.
- Now bake it for about 45 minutes, after 30 minutes remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool, after it has cooled crush the garlic with a fork.
Step 4: Making the Sauce
For the sauce, just put all of the sauce ingredients in a large saucepan and let it simmer and boil down while the dough is proofing and you are building the pizza. Just make sure to stir the sauce occasionally so does not burn and stick to the bottom of the saucepan. You are going to want to have a thicker sauce because if the sauce is to watery, it could easily leak through the crust sides or the bottom and just go everywhere when the pizza is cut into.
Step 5: Building the Pizza
- Divide the dough ball into two dough balls one little bigger than the other.
- Take the bigger dough ball and begin stretching and pulling and flattening it out so that it will fit into the 10 inch spring form pan. Make sure to bring it a little bit up over the sides of the pan so that we will be able to tuck the top crust under the sides of the bottom crust.
- Now just bake the crust in the oven set to 415ºF for about 5 minutes.
- While the crust is baking begin preparing the ingredients will go inside the pizza pie. For mine I used Italian sausage, pepperoni, red onions, and peppers.
- Once the crust is done remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Once it has cooled, begin layering your ingredients. The order I went it was: pepperoni, sausage, sauce, onions, pepperoni, sausage, peppers, sauce, cheese.
- Now were ready to add the top layers of crust. Do the same as you did for the bottom layer but this time just drape it over the cheese and pinch together the two layers of crust.
- Now just tuck the top player into the sides of the Spring form pan so every thing is sealed in.
Step 6: Baking
- To bake the pizza put it in the preheated oven of 415°F for 45 minutes with foil over the top of the spring form pan.
- After 45 minutes remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Once this is done baking remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.