Introduction: Deep Fried Bitter Gourd Rings
Many people do not like Bitter Gourd due to its bitter taste. But make it into deep fried rings and serve with chutney, the plate is emptied in no time. Bitter Gourd cooked like this do not have too much of bitter taste.
This simple recipe will guide you on how to make the delicious Bitter Gourd rings at home.
Step 1: Ingredients
- Bitter Gourds about 250 grams : Select young bitter gourds which has not formed seeds yet
- One cup of Chickpea flour
- Half a cup of rice flour
- One and half teaspoon of Red chili powder
- One teaspoon of Cumin seed powder
- A pinch Asafoetida powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying. We prefer Rice Bran oil for this
Step 2: Prepare the Bitter Gourds
- Wash and cut the Bitter Gourds into thin round slices
- Using a skewer or any such tool, make holes in the center of gourd slices. You can use your fingers also to make holes. It is very easy.
Step 3: Make Batter
- Mix all other ingredients like Chickpea flour, Rice flour, Red chili powder, Cumin seed powder, Asafoetida and salt in a vessel
- Add water in small quantities and mix well to make the batter.
- The batter should be of medium consistency, should not be very thick or runny.
Step 4: Coat Bitter Gourd Pieces in Batter
- Add five to six pieces of Bitter Gourd slices in the batter and coat them with batter as shown. Do not add all pieces at once. It will make it very difficult to properly coat the slices.
Step 5: Deep Fry the Slices
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan
- When the oil is heated to the required temperature, add the batter-coated Bitter Gourd slices one by one into the oil.
- When one side is half done, turn the slices over in oil.
- Allow the pieces to be lightly over-cooked to deep brown
Step 6: Serve Hot
- Once the Bitter gourd slices are properly fried and crispy, remove from oil and place them on a strainer.
Serve the Bitter gourd Rings hot with chutney. If you allow them to cool, the rings will loss the crispiness.