Introduction: Deep Fried Cantonese Dumplings
Most of you will think, Chinese dumplings are too complicated to make. Wrong!If you organize yourself well, then these are done in a flash.
Fry them and serve them with a dip and your guests will be happy! Wontons can be steamed, fried in a pan or deep fried, I love the deep-fried ones served at parties.
My filling consists of the typical Cantonese meat and shrimp mixture. Folded and closed they look like the Italian Tortellini and are then deep-fried. Serve them hot or cold with some sweet chili sauce or even just soy sauce; they are delicious!
As Finger-food for approx 6 Persons:
24-30 square yellow Wonton Wrappers
300 g ground Pork
150 g Shrimps, shelled and deveined
Oil for frying
Soy Sauce or Sweet Chili Sauce for Dips
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp white Pepper
1/2 tsp Chicken Powder
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp Sugar
Chop the shrimps and mix them with the ground pork. Chop the spring-onion too and mix it in. Mix all the ingredients of the marinade and mix with the meat.
Let marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Now organize your work place:From right to left, put the Wonton wrappers down, then the bowl with the filling, then a little bowl with some cold water, and a large plate sprinkled with cornstarch, so the Wontons will not stick to the plate.
Now work from right to left:
- put a wrapper into your palm so that one corner points up
- put one heaped teaspoon of filling into the middle
- dab the two top sides with cold water
- now fold the wrapper together and brush the air out by pushing from the filling to the outside, so closing the wrappers together.
- put your left index finger onto the middle of the filled triangular Wonton and fold both corners together, clue them with some cold water.
- put them onto the cornstarch sprinkled plate
(and if you say now that they are just like Italian Tortellini, yes, you are not far off. Now the question remains, who was first, the Chinese or the Italians?)
Deep-fry them in hot oil and serve them with sweet chili sauce or soy sauce.