Every party needs finger food, and there's nothing like food that's been deep fried! I'm a big fan of tempura battered anything, and in this instructable we'll go over some of my favorites and how to properly prepare them.
There are big problems with having deep fried food at a party though. It takes a while, standing over a vat of hot oil, all bubbling and burning you when it pops. Then there's the lingering smell, which gets into everything and doesn't fade for several hours. And of course, if you've been drinking, playing with hot oil isn't the best idea! We've got a solution for that though: freeze it!
Step 1: Ingredients
Here's what you'll need:
- Tempura batter (home made or from a mix)
- Vegetable oil
- High walled pan
- Paper towels
- Mixing bowl
- Sharp knife
- Latex or neoprene gloves (if you're making poppers)
- Beer (optional)
- Jalapeños and cream cheese
- Chicken (with sesame seeds!)
- Green or under ripe red tomatoes
- Green beans
- Potatoes (french fries, anyone?)
- Candy Bars and/or oreos (or so I hear!)
- Bacon (can be added to any of the above)
A note about batter: I have tried to make tempura batter and other batters from scratch, and they never turn out well, they're always too runny or too chunky or fall apart when you try to fry them. Maybe I just haven't found the right recipe, but I discovered tempura batter mix a few months back, and I've decided it's the way to go. If I make it too runny, I can just add more mix, and it almost always turns out just right.