Introduction: Deep Fried Rice Flake Fritters As Evening Snack
Rice flakes also known as flattened rice or beaten rice can be used to make different kind of tasty snack foods in a very short time. Deep fried Rice Flake Fritters is one such snack food which can be made with minimum ingredients in about 20 to 30 minutes. When unexpected guests arrive you can surprise them with this easy to make fritters and serve with coffee or tea.
Please go through the step-by-step instructions on how to make the Deep Fried Rice Flake Fritters
Step 1: Ingredients
You do not require much ingredients for this recipe which will serve about four people
- About 150 grams of Rice flakes (The scale shows little more which is the weight of container)
- 2 Green Chillies
- One Onion
- Handful of Curry leaves
- A teaspoon of Asafoetida powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
Step 2: Soak Rice Flakes
- Transfer the rice flakes to a large pan and add about one cup of water to it. Do not add too much water
- In about 10 minutes, the rice flakes will absorb the water and become soft
In the meantime you can prepare other ingredients and also start heating oil in a frying pan
Step 3: Prepare Ingredients
- Finely chop onion, green chillies and curry leaves
Step 4: Make Rice Flake Mix
- After about ten minutes, the rice flakes soaked in water becomes soft
- Add all ingredients to the soaked rice flakes. (Onions, Green chillies, curry leaves all chopped, salt to taste and Asafoetida powder)
- Mix with hand and make a thick batter.
The water added initially and the moisture content in the ingredients are good enough to make the batter. Just make a ball shape in your hand and see that the batter is not breaking up
Step 5: Make Flattened Shapes
- Take a lemon sized thick batter in your hands
- Flatten it between your palms as thin as possible without breaking
- Make sure onion pieces are not at the edges as they will tend to break while deep frying
- Make as many flattened shapes as possible while the oil is being heated and keep them in a plate
If the batter is in a proper consistency, it will not stick to your hands and will not break while deep frying
Step 6: Deep Fry the Rice Flake Fritters
- When the oil is heated, take one piece of flattened rice flake shape and gently slide it into oil
- Do not disturb by turning it over immediately. After the bottom side is properly fried it is very easy to turn it over in oil so that the other side also gets fried properly.
Here I have taken less oil for deep frying one fritter only at a time. If you heat enough oil in the pan, you can add three to four pieces at a time
Step 7: Remove From Oil and Serve Hot
- Once both sides of the fritters are fried to a golden brown, remove from oil and keep the fritters on an oil absorbing paper.
Serve hot with coffee or tea an as evening snack. You can use tomato sauce or chilli sauce as side with this dish
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.