Introduction: Delectable Smores Pie!!!!!
Smores are so messy! But this pie alternative is delicious and great for kids ( and for those adults who just plain love the classic campfire snack )!
Step 1: What You'll Need:
For the crust:
1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, ( melted )
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a Big pinch of salt
For the filling:
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 large eggs,( separated ), whites brought to room temperature, yolks can be
cold or room temperature
3/4 cup cold, strong brewed coffee
1/2 cup cold whipping or heavy cream
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 cups cold mini marshmallows
- a big pinch of salt
For the topping:
3/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
Optional- graham cracker crumbs
Step 2: The Graham Cracker Crust
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter pie pan of your choice and set aside.
2. In large bowl combine graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Mix slightly with fingers. Add the melted butter and mix throughly, rubbing to help evenly dampen the crumbs.
3. Spread the crumbs loosely and evenly into the greased pie pan, pressing them against the bottom and sides of the pan. Refrigerate for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Bake for 7 minutes on middle oven rack.
5. Let cool on wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes, then put in refrigerator for later use.
Step 3: Beginning the Chocolate Filling
1. Over very low heat, combine 1/2 cup of the 3/4 cup of coffee and 2 Tablespoons butter in a medium-sized sauce pan. As the butter starts to melt add the 8 ounces of chopped chocolate ( you can also use 8 ounces of mini semisweet chocolate chips if you don't feel like chopping chocolate ). Let the mixture stand on the heat for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring a few times. When the chocolate has melted, remove from heat and whisk to smooth. Whisk the remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter into the mixture, adding about 1/2 Tablespoon at a time. Once the butter is melted let the pan cool on a wire rack, whisking occasionally. While the mixture is still warm, whisk in the egg yolks. Put the pan back over very low heat for 3 to 4 minutes while continuously stirring the mixture. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate, whisking occasionally.
Step 4: Continuing the Chocolate Filling:
1. Pour the remaining 1/4 cup of coffee into a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over it. Set aside about 5 minutes to soften. Heat the mixture on low, whisking it until the gelatin dissolves, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk it into the already made chocolate mixture. Once added put mixture into the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes, whisking occasionally, until it has a very thick fudge sauce like consistency.
Step 5: Continuing the Chocolate Filling...Again:
1. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites( which should be at room temperature ) in a medium sized bowl until soft peaks form. Beat in the cream of tartar and salt, then gradually add the sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks that are firm and glossy. Transfer the chilled chocolate mixture into a large bowl and fold in 1/3 of the beaten egg white mixture. Add the rest of the egg white mixture and continue the fold until no white streaks remain.
2. Wash and dry beaters. Using a chilled medium sized bowl and chilled beaters ( if you have two medium sized bowls and two beaters then you can chill one set while doing the egg white step), beat the heavy or whipping cream with electric mixer until stiff, but not grainy. Fold all of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixer until evenly combined. Fold all the marshmallows into the chocolate mixture.
Step 6: Filling the Pie and Topping It Off:
Scrape the filling into the chilled pie shell, mounding as much as possible near the center. Smooth the top with a spoon or rubber spatula, then sprinkle the 3/4 cup of chocolate chips over the surface of the pie. Cover loosely with tented aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight. ( or for however long you can resist eating it under 6 hours :) ). You can add optional graham cracker pieces over the top of the pie, if desired.