Introduction: Delicious Osso Buco Meal
So, the other day I was grocery shopping and came across a packet of Osso Buco. I had never heard of it, so I called my mother-in-law and asked if she had made it before. She said yeah and shared a recipe she used.
This turned out to be a delicious meal! Mmm!
NOTE: I'm not responsible for making your mouth water!
Step 1: Ingredients
Here's what you'll need for three servings:
- Veal Osso Buco (shanks)
- Ground pepper
- All purpose flour
- White Wine
- Bay leaves
- Vegetable oil
- Chicken stock
- Lemon zest
- Tomato paste
- Kitchen twine
- Deep pot
Step 2: Prep Veal
- Tie the shanks with the twine.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides.
- Dredge the shanks in flour enough to form a nice coat.
Step 3: Brown Veal
- Heat oil over high heat.
- Add the shanks.
- Let them brown 4-6 minutes.
- Turn brown shanks over to the other side and brown another 4-6 minutes.
- Remove from the pot and set aside for now.
Step 4: Prep Veggies
- Lower the heat and proceed by prepping the veggies.
- Cut one carrot, one celery stalk, and one half onion into small cubes.
Step 5: Add Veggies and Tomato Paste
- Turn the heat up to medium and mix in the veggies.
- Add a tablespoon of tomato paste and mix.
Step 6: Add White Wine and Chicken Stock
- Place the shanks back into the pot.
- Add 1/2 cup of white wine and allow it to reduce by half. About 5-8 minutes.
- Add enough chicken stock to reach the surface of the shanks but not cover them.
Step 7: Add Herbs
- After adding the chicken stock, prepare the bouquet garni.
- Cut a 6"x6" cheesecloth square.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon each of thyme, crushed bay leaves, and rosemary into the middle of the square.
- Tie it with the twine and add it to the pot.
Step 8: Plate and Garnish
- Take a shank and place it in the middle of a plate.
- Scoop some of the veggies and sauce out and pour over the shank.
- Garnish the shank with chopped parsley and lemon zest.