I started doing a tough fitness program called P90x two years ago - and it changed my life. I had gained 15-18 pounds prior due to being ill with carbon monoxide poisoning - and P90x helped me get my metabolism going and become super fit. I've also done a few other workout programs made by the same company and they usually come with meal plans and ideas. One of them came with a meal plan recipe for "Promeal." I made it - and was weary of tasting it at first - because it had a scoop of protein powder in it and I didn't know how that would taste. But, it was so delicious that my son wanted to eat it too! So this Instructable will teach you how to make it! It's easy and really makes me feel great - I can eat it and workout shortly after without any problems and it keeps me full so much longer than anything else I normally eat for breakfast! It only takes 5 minutes to make! I'll also give you the nutritional information with the recipe.
So, I hope you enjoy this - feel free to modify it to suit your taste!
Step 1: Ingredients for High-Protein Oatmeal
- 1/2 Cup of Water
- 1/4 Cup of Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1/3 Cup of Berries - fresh or frozen
- 1 Scoop of Protein Powder (I recommend Vanilla - I used EAS Soy Protein)
- 1 Tbsp. of Chopped Walnuts or Pecans
- 1/4 to a 1/2 Cup of milk of your choice (I used soy milk) - I would pour in half first when you get to this step and see how liquidy it is. If you like it more liquidy, add the rest.
The information below here is based on using fat-free milk and one scoop of Beachbody Whey Protein Powder - so it will vary based on what you use.
- Calories: 299
- Total fat: 8g
- Sat. fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Sodium: 107mg
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 14g
- Protein: 26g
- To increase this to a 400 calorie meal, use 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of oats and 3/4 cup of berries.
- To increase this to a 500 calorie meal, increase water to 1 1/2 cups, oats to 3/4 cup and nuts to 4 1/2 tsp.
Step 2: How to Make Promeal: High-protein Oatmeal
Then pour your protein powder into the bowl you plan to eat out of. Add the warm to hot milk into the bowl with the protein powder and mix well - you may want to use a wisk. The oatmeal on the stove should be done - so take the oatmeal and pour it into the main bowl with the protein powder/milk mix. Mix well.
Add berries and mix them in well and then top it off with the nuts!
You're done! I hope you enjoy this!
If you're interested in learning more about Insanity or any other programs, I am a coach- you can learn more and see my profile here or signup for a free account to learn more about the programs & see progress pics in the forums!Ask me anything about it.