Introduction: Delicious Soft Pretzels
These are as good as the pretzels you can buy anywhere! However the more whole grain flour you add the heartier they are. It just depends on your preference.
3/4 cup warm water
1/8 cup sugar or honey
1 T active dry yeast
1 cup spelt flour or whole wheat or even just all purpose flour
1 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 T water
coarse grind kosher salt
1. Dissolve yeast, warm water, and sugar in a large bowl, set aside 5 minutes
2. Combine flours and salt in separate bowl (or in a vitamix and mix until hole forms in the middle)
3. Add flour mixture to bowl with yeast mixture and mix well (or add to vitamix and pulse several times, scraping the sides to help all ingredients bind)
4. Knead for a couple minutes or until mixture binds into a soft elastic dough (in a vitamix pulse until this is achieved)
5. Cover and let rise until doubled, approximately 30 minutes (I find the more whole grain flour that is in it the longer it takes to rise)
6. Place dough on a floured surface and divide into 12 balls
7. Roll each ball out to desired thickness and form into desired pretzel shape
8. Place pretzels on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper
9. Paint with egg wash (mix egg with water) and sprinkle with kosher salt
10. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned
11. Served best warm with a cheese sauce, Enjoy!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.