Introduction: Designing a Customized Trophy Award With 123D Design Online
Last month a couple of my teammates did awesome job on their projects and deserve recognition. We decided to add some personal touch to the gift by creating ones using 123D Design Online! Here’s come a customized trophy with individual name printed.
Autodesk 123D Design Online: http://apps.123dapp.com/design
Autodesk 3D Print Utility
MakerBot Replicator 2
Step 1: Modeling in 123D Design Online
Step 2: Add Your Name on Trophy
To add your name on trophy just use ‘Text’ command, and place the text object to correct position(snap to the trophy’s side face center as shown above).
123D Design Online only supports English characters text for now, if you want to add a non-English text, take Chinese as an example, you can use 123D Design Online’s import SVG function
1. Input Chinese characters in 2D vector software, such as Adobe Illustrator.
2. Create outline for the text object, then save as SVG file in local disk.
3. In 123D Design Online, select ‘Import’ item from application menu.
4. Choose the save SVG file and open, it will import in the current project, and generate the solid shape automatically.
Step 3: Use Text Elements to Make Two Handles
The handle looks like a ‘C’ shape, it is very difficult to build this shape with the current primitive shapes. So here is a clever way to create handles using text elements.
1. Add a text object in the canvas, modify the input text to capital ‘C’.
2. Reposition C shape to the body of trophy, snap to the key point.
3. Rotate and modify it to proper angle that you expected.
4. Click ‘Smart Position’ tool in top toolbar, reposition the handle onto the center of trophy.
5. Press CTRL key and rotate the first handle with 180 degree, you will get a duplicate one.
Step 4: Export a Printable STL File
1. Make sure you save your project to online storage (My Projects).
2. Go to 123dapp.com, activate the fly out menu by mouse over the top right area where ‘Hello, ‘<your name>’ is displayed, and choose option "models & projects".
3. Click the trophy preview image and you will see an option at the right named ‘Save/Download’.
4. Click and activate the expanded menu, look under ‘Fabrication’ and you will see an STL output option.
Tips: If you don’t see an option STL file under ‘Fabrication’, it means your 3D print file is not yet ready. Simply wait a moment, and then reload the page in your browser.
5. Click and download the file, and print it according to the instructions for your 3D printer.
1. Instead of ‘Save/Download’, choose ‘Fabricate…’ option
2. Choose ‘3D Print at Home’ from the expand menu. The web site will then guide you to install an Autodesk 3D Print Utility so that you can open a STL file directly.
3. After change some settings, ‘Send to MakerWare’ button will send this model directly to MakerWare.
Alternatively, you can use the Fabricate menu to get your piece printed using one of the 123D 3D printing partners.
Step 5: Print Your Trophy
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.