-Drill press (optional)
-Milling machine (optional)
-3D modelling software (optional)
-Marking out tool such as marker scribe
-Sanding block (not necessary)
-Block of wood 70 mm x 42 mm x 95 mm $3.80 but i had some lying around at school
-6oo mm strip of aluminium $2.80
-LED strip $12, for a waterproof 5metere strip, it works with a 12V power supply (from ebay)
-Polypropylene $9.50 with plenty left over
-Plastic end cap for aluminium. $0.42
-Bending bar you don't need to by the bending bar from design ability because you can just find a circular piece of tube.
You can get the wood, aluminium strip and polypropylene from http://www.designability.com.au/project/ecolamp
This website design ability has some really good DIY projects.
Step 1: Body
I marked the aluminium out to the correct size using a rule and a marker.
Than using a hacksaw, i cut the aluminium strip to the correct size.
I than used a piece of hollow metal tube that i have tightened in the vice and used jaw guards to prevent marking the tube. I than extremely carefully bent the aluminum by pushing it on the pole and moving the aluminum to bend it.
After that i filed the top of the aluminium to smooth it out.
Following on i used a soldering iron to de-solder (heated up existing solder that was already on there and removing them) the wires that were came soldered onto the Led strip. I de-soldered the existing wires because i need to solder the wires from the 12v power plug on them spots.
When i was ready to stick my Led strip on the aluminium i pilled off the back of the protective layer of the double sided tape which is on the back of the Led strip and stuck it on.
I than cut a piece of polypropylene that was going to fit in the aluminium. This acts like a defuser.
After that i positioned my aluminum strip so the center of my base is leaving equal space on each side. when i positioned it i asked a friend to hold the aluminium in position while i used a screw driver to put the screws in.
I used a drill press to drill a hole through my base and my aluminium. I used a portable vice to hold the base in place and a drill bit that would make a sub substantial hole for the wire to go through. This hole went completely through the base.
I than sanded my base starting with 120 course sandpaper and finishing with 400 course but you can do it how you prefer it but this gave me a very soft finish.
After that i used cotton wool to apply the Scandinavian oil to finish to finish the base, i used four coats. I didn't do this until the end but i advise you do it now.
Than just slide the polypropylene in.