Introduction: Refurnish Old Desk Into Vanity
Before you begin you will need the following items:
Sanding paper- we used 150 fine
Power sander- we used Porter Cable 120 fine grit on the quicksand power tool
Paint or stain- we are using a Behr paint and primer in one (Color: Sable Brown)
Mod Podge- You will also need an old credit card or id for this step
Decorative paper- we are using a scrapbooking paper from michaels
Flat head screwdriver
Step 1: Sand Your Desk
Before you begin to sand, you will want to remove any hardware that is still on your desk. We took the drawers out of the desk and sanded them separately and took the handles off of the drawers. Use the power sander to sand all surfaces of your desk. It should look similar to the images shown above. (You may need to use smaller pieces of hand-held sanding paper to do any rounded edges).
Step 2: Paint/Stain
- Before you start to paint or stain, you need to make sure that there is no leftover sawdust on your desk. A vacuum or wet paper towel seems to work well.
- We used a small roller on all of the larger flat surface areas, then went back and filled in the smaller cracks and rounded edges with a small normal brush.
- Apply as many coats as needed to completely cover desk.
Step 3: Mod Podge Interior Drawers
- This is an optional step but it does make the desk appear more like a vanity.
- We chose to use regular decorative scrapbooking paper.
- Fit paper to drawer and trim if needed.
- Using a brush or sponge, paint a thin layer of mod podge onto the back of your decorative paper and lay flat into drawer.
- IMPORTANT: You will need an old credit card or ID to smooth out any air bubbles that may be trapped under the paper.
- Let dry overnight, then apply a thin layer over the top of the paper to provide a protective coat.
Step 4: Handles & Mirror
- If you have decided to use new handles you can apply them once the mod podge is dry.
- Place mirror on top.