Introduction: Desktop Zen Garden
Today I will be showing you how to make a desktop zen garden. This easy project only costs about 5 dollars and will only take about 10 minutes to make. A desktop garden will add a great environment to any room. It is also great for a stressed out student that needs to calm down for a minute.
Step 1: Supplies
You will need to get a few things.
- A container
- I got this one at the dollar store for 50 cents
- A small succulent
- A strainer
- Small stones
Step 2: Strain the Sand
Using the strainer strain out the biggests grains of sand.
Step 3: Fill the Container
- Layer the bottom only about 1/4 of the way up the glass
- Remove some of the soil around the succulent
- Hold the succulent in place while you pour the fine sand around it
- Only fill the glass about 3/4 full so sand won't get everywhere
Step 4: Building the Rake
A zen garden isn't complete without a rake. This step is not 100% necessary and takes the most time, but a rake adds a great look to your zen garden. To build this rake you need a 3/8 inch dowel and a 1/8 inch dowel.
- 1 - 3 inch piece of dowel
- 1 - 1 and 1/4 inch piece of dowel
- 1 - 1/8 inch dowel
Step 5: Drill the Hole
Drill halfway into the 1.25 inch piece of dowel with a 3/16 inch drill bit.
Step 6: Widdle the Stick
Using a razor cut down the 3 inch stick to fit into the 3/16 inch hole in the smaller piece of dowel.
Step 7: Glue Together
Using the wooden glue insert the 3 inch piece into the 1.25 inch piece and clamp together.
Step 8: Finishing the Rake
To finish the rake we need to use the 1/8 inch dowel.
- Drill 4, 1/8 inch holes equal distance apart
- Insert the dowel into the first hole and cut to the desired length
- Repeat until all holes are filled
Step 9: Done!
Now that the rake is done we have our very own desktop zen garden which is great for breaks while studying. You can design it however you want with colorful stones or small animal figures. Using your pencil to design the sand is perfect since you are already writing with it! I hope you enjoyed my instructable and if you did please vote for it in the contests! Thanks for checking it out!