The following steps will show you how to make 20 Devonshire Sammies accompanied by a crock of cheddar dipping sauce.
Packers fans, be sure to check out my Cheese Curds.
5 slices peppered bacon
5 slices of bread
10 slices peppered turkey
6 ounces cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup chicken stock
Step 1: Bacon
- Cook the bacon in a frying pan over medium heat until crisp.
- Cool on a paper towel lined plate.
- Cut into quarters.
Step 2: Toast
- Cut the crust from the bread.
- Cut the bread into quarters.
- Set oven to broil.
- Brown each side of the bread on a cookie sheet in the oven.
Step 3: Cheese Sauce
- Make a roux by melting the butter in the pan, add flour and stir with a wire whisk until it begins to brown. Add milk and broth.
- Slowly add the cheese, do not allow to boil.
- Season with paprika and cayenne pepper.
Step 4: Assemble
- Cut each turkey slice in half, fold and place on toast.
- Place quarter piece of bacon on the top of each sammie.
- Serve with warm cheese sauce for dipping.