HOW THE PROJECT WORKS
- the right-side up of the project is acutally the back of the cigarette box upside down
- when the door opens, a slide in the project is pulled down revealing a black surface that fills in the holes of the facial features. The cigarette box lid is also opened, revealing a peekaboo message.
- the project is attached to a fishing string that is also attached to the side edge of the fridge door. It is also designed so that opening the freezer door in standard fridge models will not affect the project.
- empty cigarette pack (with the inside foil taken out)
- strip of balsawood, 3/16" thick
- construction paper (main color, auxiliary color, black)
- silicone double-stick tape (or any other strong, thin varieties)
- fishing string
- elastic bead thread
- sticky backed magnets
- 3 large brad pins
- small post-it pad
- x-acto knife
- glue gun
Step 1: Making the Skin
Step 2: Constructing the Interior
Take the last solo balsawood sqaure and line one of the face sides with double-stick tape. Carefully slide the sqaure inside the box. Press the sticky side towards the front side of the cigarette box.
Step 3: Putting in the Main Brads
Take the balsawood stack, and use double-stick tape on the non-black side and stick to the open side of the bradded balsawood square. This will make a small space between the black surface and the back surface of the box.
Cut the two corners off the inside lining of the pack opening. This will eliminate friction so the lid will catch less.
Take a small strip of balsawood (about 1"x1/2") and stick that in the inner edge of the top lid. This will be reinforcement for the other brad. Punch the brad in and secure with a bead of hot glue.
Step 4: Making the Face
Cut a piece of yellow (or whatever color the skin is in) paper in the size of the cigarette box's face with the length extended by 1 1/2". This flap will be the slidable flap that will move up and down based on the fridge door movement. Score the flap 1/2" from the bottom edge. Fold in, and attach that side to the backside of the box's front lid.
Slide the flap through the crawl space between the black side of the balsawood and the face of the box.
Step 5: Decoration
Stick the pad of post-it notes to his belly.
Step 6: Backside Construction
Attach the two magnet square on the side of the backside, leaving room for the faux rubberband in between.
Take another small piece of balsawood and reinforce the center lip of the cigarette box lid. Cut into the inner lip to accomodate the reinforcement piece. Punch the last brad into that spot.
Secure with a bead of hot glue. Attach a 2' long fishing string to the base of the brad. Make a few knots and secure under the brad head.
Secure the rubber band ends underneath the first and second brads.
Step 7: Installation
Depending on how your fridge door opens, the placement of the fishing string will vary. The goal is to secure it to a place so that the most it will pull is a little more than an inch. Experiment around!
The arc movement of the fridge door based on its hinge pulls the fishing string when the arc's angle is increased. The pulling of the string pulls down the lip of the lid, pulling forth the peekaboo message as well as pulling down the yellow slide inside the box.
Write yourself a post-it message on the bear's belly and let the will-power motivator work its magic!