For this project you are going to need to get a hold of these materials.
For the Helmet
- 12-14 inch mirror ball. Mine is the 30cm(12 inch) one from here http://www.maplin.co.uk/mirror-balls-28576
- A 4 inch(10cm) plastic ball split in half http://www.craftwiseonline.co.uk/plastball-split-10cm-p-25453.html
- Some sort of rigid foam. I used polystyrene insulation. http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insulation/constructional-insulation/insulation_boards/Jablite-Premium-Universal-Insulation-Board-Grey-10647758?skuId=11138400
- A Hard hat. Can just be a very cheap one. Mine was like £5 from amazon .
- Aluminium diamond mesh for the mouth.
- Black fabric for the ears. a black velvet 4-way stretch is a good one to go for.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-velvet-velour-4-way-stretch-spandex-lycra-131TK-/400320950072?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM&hash=item5d34fcef38
- White shear fabric to cover the mouth. You must be able to see through it.
- White fabric for the eyes.
- steel threaded rods.
- wingnuts matching the threaded rods.
- spray glue
For the electronics
- Battery box. i used a 3 AA battery box.
- Wire around 2m of it
- 2 white Leds. You can use more but i thought 2 was enough
- suitable resistors. I used http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz for help
- shrinkwrap or electrical tape
- on-off switch
- The main one to use is the dremel with a cutting wheel.
- masking tape.
- soldering iron and solder.
- knife. stanley blade is fine.
- hot glue gun
- Eye protection like goggles
- a Dust mask.
These are the materials i used for the project. As it was my first real project i found out that some materials were not the best one to use so i am going to tell you all of the thoughts i had about changes for the materials. These changes have not been tested but should be better materials to use as i ran into a number of problems during the build.
- the polystyrene insulation melts from the spray glue to hold the fabric so foam board may be a better alternative.
- the white fabric for the eyes is hard to bend to the curve of the plastic balls so maybe a white lycra or spray frosting would work better.
Any new ideas I or anyone else has will be added.