If you are not familiar with Rickrolling, read the Wikipedia page or just watch this video to learn more.
I don't really remember exactly how or when I first came up with the idea for this video, but it had been rolling around (no palindrome intended) in the back of my mind for several months at least. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to create a Rickroll where the 'switch' happens during the video where it would be less expected, instead of in the link, since there are various shortened link checkers available these days. The Spanish Inquisition are all about not being expected, so it seemed like the perfect match.
I'd originally intended to post it on YouTube, but supposedly my "video may include content that is owned by a third party" and has been blocked - which I find rather ironic, considering that I got my source videos from YouTube in the first place :)
Step 1: Our Chief Weapons
Starting with a quick search for source videos, I used DownloadHelper for Firefox to get the videos from YouTube, then converted the .flv files to .mpeg format with FLV Converter so that I could import them into my video editor.
I won't go into detail on the editing, since video software varies greatly; and if you make your own disguised Rickroll you will most likely use a different video to hide it in. I'll gladly attempt to answer any questions you may have via the comments.
The lower picture above shows my workspace with the timeline of the completed video. I have a second screen which I usually put the Video Preview window onto when I'm editing. If you look at the picture while listening to the video multiple times, it will help you to understand how I created it.
I made an initial render on Wendesday morning and watched it on my phone [mostly with headphones] multiple times during the camping trip, and kept notes of any new ideas I had.
On Saturday, after some tweaking of transitions and adding more sound clips to the Voice track, I made the credits. I added varying levels of transparency to the white text elements - full for Headers, less for Single Items and minimal for Dual Items and the black background; this allows the rainbow image to show through from underneath.
I made a last minute decision on Sunday just before my final render; adding some Nyan Cat into the mix to mess with people's heads some more, plus it <censored>