Introduction: Displaying Morse Code on Chipkit DP 32 Using Arduino IDE
In this project, we are going to program a chip kit dp 32 to display a message in morse code using the Arduino IDE. The message to be displayed will be entered as a string in the program.
Step 1: Everything We Need:
- The chip kit dp 32 boards
- Pickit 3
- Micro usb
- Mini usb
- MPLAB X IDE
- Arduino IDE
Step 2: Set Up Dp 32 to Use Arduino IDE
- Following the steps explained here: http://chipkit.net/wiki/index.php?title=ChipKIT_c... , install the chip kit core.
- Make sure to select the chipKIT dp 32 from the Tools menu, as explained in the link above.
- Make sure you select the correct usb port.
Step 3: Restore Boot Loader on the ChipKIT
- From the resource centre page https://reference.digilentinc.com/chipkit_dp32:ch... scroll down to Design Resources and download the boot loader.
- Using MPLAB X IDE, we will upload the boot loader file onto the dp 32. This will allows us to use the Arduino IDE to program the chipKIT :
- on MPLAB X start new project: Prebuilt (Hex, Loadable Image) Project
- prebuilt filename: browse for the downloaded boot loader hex file: chipKIT_Bootloader_DP32.hex
- Select the family (PIC 32), device (PIC32MX250F128B) and the hardware tool (SN: BUR 155130714)
- name the project
- make sure the project is set as main project
- Program it onto the board by clicking on the make and program button on top (see picture 3 in this step)
- The output window tells us once its complete. (as shown in picture 4)
- We are now ready to start!
Step 4: Creating the Program
picture used to program the code for each letter and number:
Step 5: Testing
Test Case 1: input = SOS
Test Case 2: input = 2021
Test Case 3: input = MSG 3