loading
Picture of Diy bio-fuel battery
This instructable will show that acidic foods like fruit are tasty and electrical! harness the power of fruit! harness it!

Step 1: Materials

Picture of Materials
these are cheap, reusable, and eco and digestive friendly materials. and shocking.
fruit
zinc bar
copper bar
multi meter
the worthyness of fruit
 
jrmm224 years ago
Do you need to hold everything with your mouth, in order to get a reading?
This is one of the most basic things taught in primary school science. Something I've done however has improved on the idea.

I've used a mason jar, food scraps, 2mm copper wire, 2mm aluminium wire, bent into a grid shape, aligator clips, a joule thief and muriatic acid to constantly eat away at the food, causing more ionization in the metals.

The result is a biodigester battery that has cranked out 2v and somewhere around .2 amps. My next trick is to daisy-chain a series of these into an inverter and create a sustainable biological power supply that can last as long as the terminals in the jars.

Think of this as a cross between a lemon battery and a human stomach. Just feed it, clean out the waste matter (coined by me as robo-poop) every so often.

I'll try to get some pictures up as soon as I get a camera just to prove that the jars are full of crap and not myself.
rbodell6 years ago
you can drive any two dissimilar metals in the ground and water the earth. some rock salt helps too but not necessary. I ran a transistor radio for about 7 years with pieces of galvanized all thread rod and stainless steel rod. Separate additional batteries by about a foot to increase voltage.
PKM6 years ago
Are the zinc and copper reusable? I thought they were consumed in the process of actually running the battery. I'm surprised you got such a high voltage out of a banana, I thought watery acidic fruit like lemons gave the best results and bananas strike me as non-acidic and non-watery. Any idea how much power you can get- could you run a digital clock from a banana?
knoxarama (author)  PKM6 years ago
i reuse my zinc and copper. it will start deteriorating eventually, but you can get some use out of it. But i don't think you could run an alarm clock from it. Most clocks take 3+ volts, at minimum, plus higher ampage, but hook a few together and it might work. Check the intake details and test with a multimeter so they match, of course, so you don't accidentaly fry it when testing.
knoxarama (author) 6 years ago
oh, and your tongue gives off between .3 and .9 volts. if you put zinc on your tongue with copper and touch the contacts together, you'll literaly be shocking youself with your own electricity.