Introduction: Dog Proofing a Gate Electric Motor.

Picture of Dog Proofing a Gate Electric Motor.

I came home from a day of work only to discover my gate motor refused to work. Upon closer inspection I saw significant damage due to claw and teeth marks!
I love my doggies but this time they went too far. That motor cost me 7500tt and I can't afford to have it become a snack to my dogs again. I needed protection!

Step 1: Create a Wire Frame Around the Motor Housing.

Picture of Create a Wire Frame Around the Motor Housing.

Using aluminum wire, wire stick on squares, evostik (an unsung hero) I created a wire mesh around my motor housing.

I used evostik to ensure the stick on squares don't come loose in hot sun and rain.

The aluminum wire is threaded through the squares. The look isn't great but it's the function I care about.

Step 2: Install the High Voltage Transformer.

Picture of Install the High Voltage Transformer.

I needed a High voltage to energize the wire mesh.

The transformer used is from a fence charger. It's designed to provide less than 2 milliamps. It's non lethal but gives a nasty jolt. I made a ground connection to one side of the high voltage winding to provide a path to ground. This is necessary since the doggies feet are on the nearby concrete.

The high voltage lead was a bit short so I extended it and provided insulation using clear tubing.

Step 3: Completion Step.

Picture of Completion Step.

The cover reinstalled and the high voltage wire tied to the wire mesh.

Powering Up the gate motor shows a strong electric field using my voltage detector.

Now my Gate motor is safe from my Highly destructive doggies. Take a bite now!

Comments

NancyJ3 (author)2015-03-16

The other day I was driving my boat in the water. The motor stopped working unexpectedly. I really hope that I will be able to fix it soon. There are a lot of great motors in my area. I cannot wait be able to repair the motor in my area.

<a href='http://www.hackworthelectricmotors.com/services.html' >http://www.hackworthelectricmotors.com/services.html</a>

SugarCluster (author)2015-01-31

Warning: even if you are running short on those safe transformers, NEVER use mains voltage on the wires.
Unless you really want to see your lovely pet getting toasted to death. Really. Don't do it.
If you're really lacking that and need to make it work somehow, try those battery powered spark generators (less than 0.1mA) from some gas stoves. Insulation is very important here as it will fry everything the wire and spark touches.

Safety first as always and using mains live conductors is fatal. The transformer I used has a short circuit rating of 4milliamps. This is safe for healthy humans and canines. I have however ordered a solid state fence charger that is even safer and uses far less power. I will update when I have it installed. Thanks for the comment!

For me, that 0.015A 12kV spark generator (ignition circuit) that runs on nothing but joule thief (and buck converters) were just enough to give some unpleasant shock while not rendering any living creatures (even chicks and ducklings). (I wired it to my doorknob and cabinet to deter bullies from entering and opening my cabinet with broken padlock hole. Success as it penetrated all the clothing they had)

It's solid state (like what the safe fence energizer is), and it's even safer as it uses little (very little) current, just like you suggested.

And yes; Safety FIRST!

A story of mine, which involves near-death electrocution.

Story 1: I was fiddling around with those BIG flash capacitors, then, somehow the uninsulated screwdriver touched one of those contacts. I got a nice burn mark on my fingers, and noticed it after waking up from the shock.

Story 2: I had a really rock-bottom price nightlight, which connects to mains voltage. One day, the screw went off (stripped from the plastic standout), not knowing that, I pulled the light...ZAP! Turns out that it was the cheapest voltage dropper circuit driving three 3V white LEDs. (it was called capacitor...something voltage dropper) I accidentally touched the mains side of the teeny tiny circuit (which had no protection). Whoa, that was a nasty, nasty shock!

Hey sorry about the electrocution incidents you experienced. I have too on several occassions. Its what separates the top dogs from the wannabes. Talking from theory is chatter, talking from experience is real power!

About This Instructable

568views

10favorites

License:

Bio: As of April 2017 I have decided to no longer post on instructables. The fact that several of my published works have been removed without ... More »
More by Mjtrinihobby:External Light Sensor Night Light.Replacing a Toilet Tank Float Valve. How to Make Pig Feet Souse!
Add instructable to: