Today we are going to eat good. This recipe is sweet and spicy which is a great take on an old favorite. I find that blackberry and jalapeño work together with other flavors to give a unique glaze. This recipe is portioned for a full rack of ribs.
You will need:
- 1 Ribs
- 8oz Blackberry Jam
- 8 Jalapeño peppers
- 6oz Brown Sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 4oz Dark Rum
- Corn Starch
- 2 spoons Honey *optional*
Step 1: Creating Your Glaze
1. You will want to puree your 8 jalapeños. If you don't have a food processor you can chop them as fine as you can manage. You can also adjust the heat level by taking out the seeds. I would leave the seeds in as it will be very sweet from the jam.
2. You will want to cook your jam with your jalapenos, rum, and honey. Cornstarch will be added as needed to reduce the glaze to the appropriate consistency. Work with the glaze and reduce it until you have a good thickness. Add any additional jam or Jalapeños to a taste.
Note: Honey gives the ribs a different tweek of sweetness apart from the blackberry jam. Honey is by no means necessary as the jam is sweet enough to balance out the jalapeños.
Step 2: Glaze and Bake
1. Wash your ribs and spread half of your glaze over them. Brown sugar should sprinkled on top here along with salt and pepper. A light layer is perfect (Sugar is not pictured, just the glaze at this point). You will want to fully cover them in glaze. Your first blaze should be broiling them or BBQ them at 450 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. This will lock in the juices.
2. Next, apply the other half of your glaze to the ribs and fully cover the ribs in tin foil and place them in the oven at 250 degrees for 2.5 hours. This will fully cook the ribs and fully saturate the flavor of your glaze into the outer layer of your meat.
Note: If you want to skip step 1 here and just marinate the rips in your glaze this is a good option but I would leave the ribs in the oven longer.
Step 3: Finished
Congratulations you are finished. Thank you for reading my instructable. Let me know how you like it.
Feel free to check out my other projects: