Remember how awkward it is trying to communicate with your double-bunk-mate
without waking the rest of the house? The one on top usually hanging precariously over the side. The one on the bottom kicking
the mattress above to get the other's attention. Poor sleep-over communications
can seriously impact the planning stage of important missions. This problem is now a thing of the past thanks to our our new Double Bunk Speaking Tube
With the new Double Bunk Speaking Tube double-bunk-mates top and bottom can can communicate freely at a whisper
while lying comfortably in their bunk.
Typical of my instructibles the cost of this solution is approximately zero dollars. That is equivalent to free
in almost any currency in the world.
All you need is a flexible hose (an old dishwasher discharge hose in this case), two PET bottles, duct tape (of course), and something to cut the bottles with.
Assembly is so simple it would be insulting of me to post a step-by-step. Just:
- Make two trumpets out of the bottles. These could also be referred to as "funnels" because when you put jokes in one end the funnel come out the other. boom boom!
- Duct tape around the cut edges in case they are a bit sharp.
- Tape the trumpets onto each end of the hose
- Set up one end at the top bunk and the other at the bottom.
- Offer the operators a quick introduction to wireless protocol - over.
I'm tempted to rig up comms like this between my kids' rooms. The technology worked in ships and aircraft in the old days - why not use it now?
I hope you enjoyed this simple idea. My kids certainly did. Please feel free to comment or ask questions.
I've entered in the latest toys contest so if you like my idea for cheap simple fun for kids please consider voting.