Step 1: Assess Your Flashlight
Here are the parts of the flashlight
4. lens cap
5. end cap
1. case - some dents but the switch works well. Also has a setting that allows you to send morse code. I don't know morse code, but I think that is cool.
2. reflector - A few scratches, but works well
3. lens - a few scratches but intact
4. lens cap - looks like it has a serious dent, but screws on okay with a little effort
5. end cap - slight dents and has a loop which is cool.
6. bulb - great condition
I ended up keeping everything but the bulb. Your flashlight may be different so I encourage you to see what you want. I got rid of the bulb because I wanted to run it off less battery power to free up space in the case for the flash drive.
Step 2: Gather Tools/materials
1. Duct tape - both a tool and a material
3. Wire cutter
5. Long thin flat head screwdriver
6. Hair Dryer
7. Hot Glue Gun
8. Alligator clips for testing
9. Mini flashlight for peering into the depths of the vintage flashlight case
1. Duct tape
2. Copper wire
3. Putty expoy
4. Flash drive with cap
5. Heat shrink tubing
6. Hot glue
7. Case for AA batteries
8. Aluminum Foil
9. Broken bulb
10. Heat shrink tubing
Step 3: Modifications
I had a bulb that had broken that I used for this step. I took out the old bulb and clipped the filament leaving two metal prongs. I took off 1/8th an inch from the krypton bulb so it would fit into the reflector. I used some heat shrink tubing to hold the bulb onto the prongs while I hot glued it. My fingers were much to large to hold it still while I hot glued it.
After it was secured I tested the frankenbulb to make sure it would work. Then I tested it in the reflector. Make sure you test at every step. You do not want to "finish' only to realize that a wire is not connected.
The next modification I made was to the batteries. I found a AA battery case lying around. The case was a perfect fit for the flashlight case. It slid in snug. I added some duct tape to it to made the fit a little tighter and then some tape was put at two corner, sticky side out to hold the batteries in place. The negative wire was taped to the case and the positive was taped to the connector on the reflector. (This flashlight is metal. Attaching the wire to the case will not work if the flashlight you are using is not metal.) I used aluminum foil for any areas where the connection was not tight. Once the connections were made I tested the flashlight and it worked great. I tested these connections before to make sure they worked.
Step 4: Doubling the Flash
I used a putty epoxy for this part. The putty is blue on the outside and white on the inside. Cut off about 1/8th of an inch and mashed it together until the entire mass was a consistent gray color. The cap I used had a hook for use on a shirt pocket. I used this cap because I thought it would hold to the putty better. Attach the putty to the cap and put putty, cap, and the flash drive all in the flashlight. 5 minutes later it was secure.
Step 5: Further Additions
The light works great and is also much lighter without those clunky D batteries inside it. No one would ever suspect that it contains a second flash.