Thank you for the featured status and homepage! I am glad to see my work was appreciated.
I decided that for Christmas last year I was going to make my family something special. I settled on the idea for homemade action figures for my brothers and close friends. However that would not do for my Mom. I decided to make her a statue of Dr. Mario, based on her favorite video game (Dr. Mario for the NES).
Here is a list of the supplies I used:
-Wax + Melting pot
-(Optional) Hot plate/Individual burner
-Paint (I used Testors model kit paint)
-Paint brushes (Should be obvious)
-Sharp knife of some kind
-Urethane plastic mix
-Silicone rubber mix
-Sculpting tool set
-Slight sculpting skill
-Creative use of materials
-TIME (Possibly the most important thing)
If done right on the first try, this should cost you about $30-$45.
(By the way, if you ever plan to make homemade gifts, be sure to start before November. Learn from my mistake.)
Step 1: Getting your Doctorate
My next plan was to make another mold and pour in some plastic. I used the modeling clay to make quick molds of Mario's hands, feet, and face. I filled these molds with hot glue to have a durable copy to include with the body I sculpted to produce a finished figure. I added a headband and hair to complete the head, since I already had a copy of the face. Once I finished sculpting his body, I had to figure out how to capture his likeness. The clay I used only cures when baked and I did not want to melt my hot glue parts, so I made a plaster cast of my Dr. Mario statue while the clay was still unbaked. Once the mold was done I opened it up and scraped the clay out. The mold was successful and the clay could be re-used, so I thought it was a win-win scenario. I carved out a hole at the bottom of the feet to pour the plastic into. I stayed up all night Christmas Eve pouring plastic into the molds and getting my paint station set up. However, I found out that urethane plastic and plaster apparently fuse together. I tried desperately to chip the plaster mold off of the plastic figure inside, but it was no use. (An expensive mistake).
My last attempt at this was to make a urethane rubber mold of the Mario figure. I used OOMOO 25 for the mold material. I cast a mold around my Mario figure and thankfully this idea worked and I finally had a mold to begin sculpting my Dr. Mario statue. After my mold was finished, I began re-sculpting his body. (I featured the re-sculpt in step 3).