I made this quilt for my Brother in Law for Christmas and it took me several month to make. I had embrodairy all the squares by hand along with outlining the appliques to make them stand out. We drew names that year and when i go his I knew what i wanted to do since he collected dragons and wizards. Everyone already had everything they needed so this would be something special that was hand made from the heart. I started this quilt about the middle of March and got it finished about 10 days before Christmas. I worked on it nearly every night. I was scared I would not even get it finished. When i got it he call and said what a get idea, so now I have to make all family members a quilt. LOL Hope you enjoy and if you do please vot.
Green Material for the back
Queen size batting
Embrodiary thread and needles
Thread of All Differant Colors
Rotar Cutter with Mat
Black and gold trim (Lots)
LOT OF TIME
Step 1: Making of the Top
I started by cutting the gold material into squared and then I went onto ebay and found the appliques for the dragon and wizards and bought them. Then I sewed the appliques onto the gold squared making sure they were in the middle. I used a differant kind of sitich for a lot of them and a differant color of thread. Then I laid them out on the floor to see how I wanted to sew it together.
Step 2: Backing, Batting, and Top
After the top was sewed together, I had to sew the back together to make it larger enough, then i placed it on the floor, then the batting, then the top, then lots of pins. Then i started the hand embrodiary work. I started from the middle of the blanket and worked my way to the outside. At first i was just going to embroidary from the corner of the gold square to the corner of the applique, but then i started getting carried away a followed the pattern of the gold material, then the applique needed to stand out more so, that is when i used the embrodiary thread that stands out.
Step 3: Trim and Scallop Border
After all the embrodiay was done I sewed the trim on where I had sewed the gold blocks together, Then I cut the border using a scalloped edging, material wrong side out, then I turned it right side out, used a pensil to make the scallop more rounded, with the edges still open I had to make sure the top and bottom lined up before I sewed one side on at a time. After that i sew the trim along the outside edge.
Step 4: Back Side and Scallop Edges
This is what the back side and scallop edges look like
Step 5: Pillow Case Cover
For the final Step I made a quick pillow case cover, with a piece of the back and trim. I put the quilt in side it to be shiped and for him to store it in if he did not what to use it.