I started a new job at a school last year as the new Art Technician. For the christmas show the school was doing Shrek the Musical. The students and I produced set and props for the production. Included in this was a puppet head to use for the Dragon character. Here is how it was made :D
This instructable is being entered in the Hurricane Lasers Contest.
Im currently trying to revamp the art dept at the school where I work and part of that I getting a laser cutter. I want to show the students how to design things for the machine and hopefully inspire and inform them of possible options their futures could take in the world of art and design. I also want the students to design and produce things that they can sell for the school to generate more income for the dept.
Right now im currently working on various ways to raise 50k to do up the dept (as you might see from the backgrounds in the pictures its going to take A LOT of work) and winning a laser cutter would be a ginormous help to bring the art dept up to date.
Step 1: Make a plan
I decided that wire was the best thing to make the frame from as it would be light.
First step - make a plan
Using wire and a glue gun a made a small maquette to work out the form
Step 2: Time to make it bigger!
Using thick aluminium wire I made a basic frame following the maquette. Thin wire and hot glue held it together.
Step 3: This Dragon is a Chicken!
There was a large amount of chicken wire in the materials cupboard that was perfect for this. Using thin wire I was able to attach panels of the chicken wire over the whole head. I could manipulate the wire and 'flesh out' the form.
Step 4: Give it some skin
To make sure the skin was going to be strong enough we put on two layers. By tearing the paper into diamond shapes they could be layered up like scales which gave the skin a great texture.
I went around the edges and made sure there was no sharp bits of wire sticking out anywhere that might hurt anyone later.
Step 5: Tickled pink
Step 6: Tone
Step 7: What big eyes you have!
The rest got painted green and then I cut some card to fit for the eyelids and painted up to match the skin.
Step 8: My what big teeth you have!
Using red paint I could give dragon her lipstick.
Step 9: Finishing touches
Where the cut out irises and nostrils were I found some fine black mesh to cover these from the inside so that the person wearing the head could see out and the audience couldnt see in.
So the head could be held and controlled I attached two thick wooden dowels across the head inside.
The inside of the head was also lined with purple and dark pink fabric to make sure the person wearing it was safe from the wire (and vice versa) and so that when the head was on stage there wasnt any of the inside glaringly visable.
The costume was finished of by a huge piece of purple/pink shimmery fabric that went from the back of the head over the person carrying it.
It was a great moment when the dragon first came on stage and the whole audience gasped with awe and surprise at the costume. The kids and staff at the school loved the puppet and it is currently on display in the art dept.