Introduction: Drawing Pencil to Compass
What happens when you can't find your compass? Necessity may be the mother of invention... but it doesn't have to be the catalyst for complexity!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci
Here's a quick and easy way, with a little 3D printing, to turn a drawing pencil into a compass.
The Capricious Compass is comprised of five parts: a leg, nut, bolt, pencil, and a straight pin. Assembly should take about 10 - 15 minutes.
- 3D print your compass parts on a fine setting (support material not needed)
- Warm the bolt with a torch or lighter a bit to soften the threads
- Screw the bolt on carefully and run the full length of the threads
- Remove the nut, insert the bolt into the compass leg, and replace the nut
- Hot-glue a straight pin into the tip of the compass leg - be careful, it's sharp!
- Insert your pencil into the bolt and adjust height to taste
Circumscribe the day!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.