Introduction: Dresser Set Makeover
My wife and I were using a 1970's dresser set which was constructed of cheap particle board wood with a laminate teak exterior. I decided to revamp them to match our bed. Instead of simply painting, I decided to use solid wood (pine) and removed the cheap mdf drawer fronts and replaced the tops as well.
Wood Type: Pine (dresser drawers fronts and top)
Finish: Water based polyurethane, Minwax conditioner , dark walnut stain and white paint
Hardware: Drawer Handles
Step 1: Destroy Dresser Drawer Frons
I didn't like the original handles and wanted to replaced them. I quickly realized, that I couldn't replace the handle without replacing the entire front of the drawer (see photo). So I took apart the drawers and built new ones out of pine.
I cut my drawer front panels to length with mitre saw and then made a dado on my table saw. There was a dado groove on original drawer front which secures the front to the drawer base (see photos).
Step 2: Build Dresser Tops
I then started to work on making a new top for the night stands and dressers. I made pocket holes and screwed and glued the boards together.
I then used a router to make a decorative edge along the top of the nightstands.
I had to plane the top of the dresser because it was not flat since I will screwing a new pine top onto the existing one.
My wife helped me out and painted the original sides white. I then screwed on the new top. I stained the top and front panels with a Minwax dark walnut stain and applied a few polyurethane coats.
Step 3: Final Steps - Finish Drawer Fronts
The final step was to glue the drawer fronts and attach the new handles.
These pictures are of the final results of the nightstand and Dressers.
I hope this inspired some of you.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.