They were very much so, SO I took them to a seperate room to see what I could do with them.
These are the steps I took to fix them and give them another good 10-20 service.
Here are the pieces I had to work with.
Step 1: Materials and supplies and tools, oh my
I also needed some quality wood glue, which I happened to have on hand from a former project.
And one needs a clamp of some sort, since the wood glue works best when clamped during drying.
I happened to have a "strap" clamp. It consists of a ratchet and a strap. Once wrapped around the area to be clamped, one "ratchets it tight".
These clamps are VERY handy, but are a bit of a pain for smaller jobs. They are great for the monstrously large clamping needs, without going out and purchasing special corner clamps, etc.