Introduction: Drop Fried Coin Egg Bites (Low Fat Breakfast)
Introduction: This recipe is made using a new frying technique called “Drop Frying”. As the name suggests, drop frying uses few drops of oil.
Comparison of different frying techniques is given below:
- Deep Frying: It uses large quantity of oil. The batter is dipped in hot oil. As we go on frying batch after batch, the oil starts to become thick and trans-fat is generated. Trans-fat is very harmful for health. Also, deep fried items absorb more oil and have higher calories.
- Shallow Frying: It uses moderate amount of oil. As the oil is poured in a flat pan, it spreads. Therefore all the oil is not utilized for frying. This also generates moderate amounts of trans-fat. The calorie contents are moderate.
- Drop Frying: It uses special pan called “Paniyaram Pan” or “Takoyaki Pan” as shown in Fig.1. It consists of semi-spherical molds. Few drops of oil are put in each mold. Then batter is added in each mold. Following are the advantages of Drop Frying:
- Drop frying uses 80% less oil, hence less calories.
- Uses fresh drops of oil for each batch hence no trans-fat.
- Heat is focused inside the mold on the batter. Hence uniform frying takes place.
- Much safer as compared with deep frying as no need to handle large quantity of hot oil
For more recipes using drop frying and for videos please click following links:
 Drop Fried Vada Pav
 Drop Fried Bread - Coconut sweet
 Indian Sweet: Balusha
 For free access to the book please click on the link below:
 Link for Paniyaram Pan
Step 1: Ingredients
Ingredients: Following items are required for making Egg Bites:
- Eggs - 2
- Chopped onion - 1 medium size
- All purpose flour - 3 tea spoon (All purpose flour can be substituted with healthier oats. Please see my comment in the comments section)
- Chopped Coriander leaves - 2 tea spoon
- Freshly ground pepper powder - ¼ tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying - 2 tea spoons
Step 2: Preparing the Batter
To make the batter, break two eggs in a bowl. Add chopped onion, chopped coriander leaves, pepper powder and salt. Mix and beat well. Now add all purpose flour. Again beat well till the batter becomes uniform.
Step 3: Pre-heat Paniyaram Pan
Pre heat Paniyaram Pan on slow heat. Once the pan is hot, put few drops of oil in each mold of the pan.
Step 4: Pour Egg Batter in the Molds
Pour batter in each of the molds as shown in figures. Allow it to get fried for about 3 minutes.
Step 5: Flip the Egg Bites for Uniform Cooking
Flip the egg bites for uniform cooking as shown in figures. Allow it to fry for another 3 minutes. If necessary flip them inside the molds till all are fried properly.
Step 6: Serve the Egg Bites
Drop Fried low fat quick breakfast is ready. This is a complete breakfast as we do not need bread. The bread has been substituted by all purpose flour. Take out the egg bites in a dish as shown in figure.. Serve the egg bites along with tomato sauce and orange juice.
Step 7: Variation
- All purpose flour can be substituted with whole wheat flour. This is a healthier choice.
- If someone likes to eat hot and spicey, pepper powder can be substituted by red chili powder or finely chopped green chilies.
- Chopped mushrooms and chopped capsicum can be added to the batter.