There are two methods that I use, the first is to hang the chili. This method works well in the warmer months when there is a warm dry climate.
1. It is easy and requires less ongoing attention than rack drying. It is best described as set and forget.
2. You can dry large a large number of chilies in a small space.
1. It takes longer than rack drying.
2. More prone to rot than rack drying.
The second method, Rack drying is used in the colder months. when hanging simply won't work.
1. It's much faster than hanging.
2. Rot isn't a problem
1. Needs active supervision.
2. takes up a lot more space than hanging.
Step 1: The Chilies
The process always starts with good quality fresh chillies. They should have the stalk still attached and be in good condition.Any damage to the skin will allow rot to set in so any blemished chilies should be set aside for other uses.