Introduction: Dumbledore, McGonagall, Draco Malfoy Christmas Ornaments
I plan on making a lot of harry potter themed ornaments for my christmas tree this year. I attempted to make a Dumbledore, McGonagall and Draco Malfoy ornament . McGonagall looks a little severe but that's only because she is next to Draco :P
Step 1: Materials.
You will need:
- Three Christmas balls (same size)
- Acrylic Paints: Apple Barrel's Sunkissed Peach (skin tone) / Grey / White / Green
- Sharpie Marker - Black
- Green Felt Sheet (available at any craft store)
- Light Beige Yarn (for Draco's hair)
- Elmer's Glue
- Hot glue gun
- Scissors and Pencil
- Mod Podge - Gloss
Step 2: Prepare and Design Your Ornaments.
- Wipe the ornaments with a napkin to remove dust. Paint a layer of Sunkissed Peach on all 3 and let dry for 20 mins. Add 1-2 more layers and let dry.
- Use a pencil to lightly draw facial details:
- For Dumbledore: Pencil in 2 eyes, and a little sliver for a mouth.
- Draw a line towards the top of the ornament for his cap.
- Pencil in half moon shaped glasses a little below the eyes.
- For McGonagall: Pencil in 2 circles for eyes. Draw a line in between for eyelids with two curves at the end indicating lashes.
- Draw brows and a curve for the mouth.
- Towards the bottom of the ornament, draw a line to indicate a sweater.
- On either side of the eyes draw curved lines going downwards (this will be the hair).
- For Draco: Draw brows, and circular eyes slanting at the ends to give a wicked look.
- Draw a line at the bottom to indicate a scarf. Inside the line, draw lines to indicate strips.
- Draw a downward tilting mouth.
Step 3: Procedure: for Dumbledore.
- After penciling in all your facial details, use a black sharpie to mark the eyes.
- Use white paint to color in his hair and beard (which covers about 75% of the entire ornament)
- Use grey paint to add glasses and a small cap. Let dry for 10 mins.
- Cover the entire ornament in gloss mod podge and let dry for 20 mins (optional).
Step 4: Procedure: for McGonagall.
- Use a black sharpie to outline the eyes and lashes.
- Cut out a leaf pattern from the green felt and cut that leaf in half (as shown in images).
- Use the hot glue gun to attach one half of felt to one side of the ornament, making it look like the rim of a hat.
- Add on the other half.
- Keep adding pieces of felt until you get a hat shape on the ornament. Let the glue dry.
- Use grey paint to highlight the brows and the mouth. Add a small thin line of grey under the eys to give an appearance of old age.
- Color in the eyes using the black sharpie.
- Mix the grey with a little black to get a darker grey for the hair.
- Let everything dry and add a layer of gloss mod podge (optional).
Step 5: Procedure: for Draco Malfoy.
- Cut the beige yarn in to small strips. Use Elmer's glue to attach each strip on top of the ornament (see images).
- Keep repeating until you have a uniform layer of hair (you might have to add 1-2 layers of strips). Let the glue dry completely for 30 mins.
- Use white paint to highlight the eye sockets. Once dry, use the sharpie or black paint to add eyeballs with a slant.
- Use grey paint to fill in the mouth and alternating strips on the scarf.
- Fill the remaining strips with green.
And there you go. Three characters to add to your Potter themed tree :)